Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Broosha
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation

Since i still have to wait 4 1/2 month before my bike will arrive , i bite my time with reading and find more info about the HD.
1 Of the questions i have atm is about navigation equipement.
I wonder if any readers here do have knowledge about / experiences with different navigational equipement and what brand, type you could recommend.
I will ride a FLHTK in near future. I do realise that since i live in Holland some equipement in Europe might be different then in the States but i'm sure most of the products will be the same. (not the maps of course)

So do you all have any comment on brand, type, best way of mounting on the HD etc. of navigational equipement?

Thanks allready!

Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Broosha
Since i still have to wait 4 1/2 month before my bike will arrive , i bite my time with reading and find more info about the HD.
1 Of the questions i have atm is about navigation equipement.
I wonder if any readers here do have knowledge about / experiences with different navigational equipement and what brand, type you could recommend.
I will ride a FLHTK in near future. I do realise that since i live in Holland some equipement in Europe might be different then in the States but i'm sure most of the products will be the same. (not the maps of course)

So do you all have any comment on brand, type, best way of mounting on the HD etc. of navigational equipement?

Thanks allready!
Look into the Garmin Zumo. They are very good GPS devices for motorcycles - so good that they are making the ones that Harley stamps their name on.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:39 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used a Garmin zumo all summer, since they came out. The Zumo is weatherproof, pairs up with phone and bluetooth head set. Easy to use, excellent maps (get the Europe version), excellent navigation features, can see well enough in the sun, MP3 player... plugs into USB port on computer to update. You can easily map out tour routes on your home computer and load in the way points to follow/cruise along. Has a long lived battery and detects if its in the motorcycle or car. You can have a profile for each.

So it has about any feature you'd want in a motorcycle as well as a car and done well... but you pay a high price. You can get a slightly less featured Garmin unit but not weatherproof, slightly different screen, and without the rugged motorcycle mounts for perhaps half the price.

I want to move it to more centered on the bar, haven't decided how to do that, but with the included hardware I mounted it securely to the two screws in the left handlebar switch pod. I ran power down to the always on accessory power connector under the seat. That way you don't have to deal with the GPS receiver losing power during a fill-up. Placing it near the left grip has the advantage of easy access but I think it may look better centered. There are a few photos in my album.

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-23-2010 at 02:47 PM.