Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT vs. other Tuners?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The problem I have with PC is that it interupts signals and lies to the ECU for the changes.
Why is this a problem? If you injest natural or synthetic Vitamin C your body doesn't know the difference. The ECM's signal is simply changed, and the difference is what the bike sees as a result. If you have x amount of fuel being metered via a PC or x amount via SERT, the bike runs the same. Also, it doesn't "lie to the ECU" because the PC is downstream of the ECM and it doesn't even know the PC is attached.

PC will NEVER have the tuning power of SERT, SEST or TTS and i'm sure others.
Please explain this too. If you are metering fuel and ignition timing accurately from a good tune, whether it be with SEST or a PC, the source is irrelevant.

Take the rev limiter for instance, sure you can raise it with the PC but you get 1 option and the tach doesn't work properly on newer bikes with the revXtend enabled in the PC. Might as well leave it off, what good is it if your bike limits at 6250 RPM but you don't know where you are at aver 5100 RPM?
The OP has a pre-TBW bike and this is irrelevant to his decision. It is true the tach stops at 5100 on TBW bikes, and if you drag race or otherwise venture into that RPM territory frequently it might be a problem. Otherwise, I doubt if most
riders will find it a major inconvenience. I also doubt if most riders will care if you can only chose between the stock redline or 6250. Again, if you drag race you might want to pinpoint the redline more tightly, but most HD riders don't use their bikes in competition.

Last edited by iclick; 01-28-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Perhaps close but not dead on for your bike, as no two bikes are identical. The canned maps have to be detuned to cover the worst case bike. There is a surprising amount of variance between otherwise identical bikes.
This simply isn't true. If you check with tuners who perform tunes on dozens of bikes they will tell you that the tune varies little from one bike to the next, given identical hardware. Keep in mind that every bike must meet EPA regs, and the tune is the same on every bike that leaves the HD factory. If there was a great amount of variance you would see many bikes flunk emissions tests, and there is zero tolerance to meet these regs.

I originally used a PCIII, then a PCV, later upgrading to Auto-Tune. Before adding AT I was running a map created by Fuel Moto on an '07 RK in WI, used on my '07 SG operated in LA. When I added AT I ran the bike long enough through all ranges and accepted the trims being written by AT. In the end the map written was almost identical to the original map, varying not more than 1% in any given cell, and changes were made to very few cells. This attests to the accuracy of the original canned map and the efficacy of using a map created in one bike to tune another.

What's not widely known is that the PC uses all the capacity of the ECM except the narrow-band O2 sensors, including the MAP and knock sensors. So, if you start with an accurate tune on another bike, it will work as well in another bike operated in a different area with different humidity, altitude, etc.

The PC may be the simplest tuner that provides good results for those handy with installing hardware, and simplest for a dyno tuner to tune if he has the hardware. But it can't get you as good a tune as a TTS or a SERT with a good tech.... not implying the shop you talked to doesn't have good techs. Its a judgment call here on what is good enough.
I challenge you to show evidence for this claim. It is a fact that if the tune is accurate, it won't matter if you are running SERT/TTS (S/T) or a PCV.

To me the clear advantage of the PCV over S/T is that there is only a small library of maps available for the latter, yet dealers like Fuel Moto have hundreds of canned maps from tunes on bikes like yours. You also can't use a map switch on S/T-equipped bikes to toggle between two maps on the fly. Create a map with leaner values in the cruise range for mileage and switch to richer tuning for those times when you need extra cooling. The PC has this feature, as well as many others (e.g., offsets for specific gears, speeds, manifold vacuum, or analog input).

Fuel Moto sells TTS, which like SERT/SEST was created by Steve Cole and is a very similar product. They also sell PC's, and I would advise anyone who is in the market for a tuner to call Jamie and listen to his no-BS advise.

Something like a SERT or TTS just provides many more variables to adjust to a specific bike's characteristics and with higher fidelity. There is no question the PC will provide a better tune than what comes off the factory floor, but they do cripple the ECU from adapting, and therefore on the street, more safety margin needs to be put in which means you are not running as optimum tune.
Here we have yet more misconceptions. First, you can't demonstrate how S/T can provide a "higher-fidelity" tune than a PC. If the AFR and ignition timing is correct, you have an accurate tune regardless of which tuner is used.

Second, you say the PC "cripples the ECU from adapting," which is totally false. You have all the ECM features operable with a PC as you have with T/S, except you normally don't run the stock narrow-band O2 sensors with the basic PCV. If you want to run closed-loop you can add Auto-Tune for true autotune functionality throughout the RPM/TP range, not just from 0-60% TP as you have with T/S. The wide-band sensors don't limit you to either specific RPM/TP or AFR ranges like you are with the stock narrow-band sensors used with T/S.

The truth of the tuner question is that you can obtain an excellent tune with either a PC or T/S. My contention is that a PCV from Fuel Moto will eliminate the need for a dyno-tune on the vast majority of applications due to their proven map accuracy. With T/S you must have a dyno-tune, as the guesswork required in tuning in open-loop mode necessitates it.

Last edited by iclick; 01-27-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ewalker302
I agree that any tuner that can adapt to changing conditions will be a superior product against a tuner with a canned map.
We must get beyond the misconceptions that permeate this thread. With a PC you have all the features intrinsic to the bikes stock ECM, including the MAP, temperature, and knock sensors that are used to "adapt to changing conditions."

Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Yes the answer years ago was PC and fuel pack/XiED, but times have changed and I think there are a broader range of choices and better tuning tools available to amateurs today... even more miles of smiles
Putting the PCV in the same sentence as the FuelPak and XIED is highly inappropriate, as is the suggestion that it is an outdated design. This is untrue, especially when used with the Auto-Tune modules.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Off topic; Iclick, what's a stage 1-1/2? I've never heard of that. Iis that some kind of new High tech engine configuration?

Originally Posted by iclick
Putting the PCV in the same sentence as the FuelPak and XIED is highly inappropriate, as is the suggestion that it is an outdated design. This is untrue, especially when used with the Auto-Tune modules.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

1) So you think a PCV provides a better tune than a TTS tuning kit? Do you have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise?
Who said that a PCV could produce a better tune than TTS? That is as absurd as the claim is in reverse. You ask for evidence, but have been making grandiose claims on the superiority of TTS vs. PCV totally without data or other evidence. So let's see it.

Has PCV with autotune been proven to be a superior product? I don't hear much talk aboui it in tuning forums.
Why wouldn't it provide a good tune? It uses the same sensors that are used in many automotive applications and the same part used in DynoJet's own dynomometers. The sensors sample 50X/sec. and adjust AFR's accordingly throughout the RPM/TP range, not just below 60% TP as is the case with TTS using the stock narrow-band sensors.

2) Parts for HDs, in general, are way too expensive but TTS is currently maybe $100 more than a PCV (PC recently had to drop their price to be competitive).
The PCV has always been $300 from Fuel Moto.

PCs are simpler to use for many riders and cheaper to tune, but you are not going to get close to getting it all from one.
Evidence? Is a good tune what you would consider "getting it all" or is there some intangible we can't see?

4) Autotunes are a great idea but are expensive (at least another $500, over a TTS) and are hampered by technology.
Bullshit. The PCV is $300 and the Auto-Tune kit is $300. TTS costs at least $400 and will need a dyno-tune. With AT you don't for the vast majority if not all applications, and in that context it is cheaper than TTS.

The sensors are just not that accurate, and I don't think the predictive software can take the place of human analytical skill.
Let's see some data for your claim that O2 sensors aren't accurate? If they aren't, do you think perhaps most or all vehicles that are equipped with them will not meet emissions regulations? Manufacturers must warrant emissions compliance for 80k miles, IIRC, and I haven't heard of any widespread compliance failures. Have you?

From reading posts here and other forums, I get the impression that riders that get the best out of autotunes spend a lot of time and money tweaking them... in the end, the TTS kit provides a better tune anyway (perhaps slightly better but for a lot less money). Autotunes have their place for those that want a decent tune and be adaptive but have no desire to understand EFI or work at it, just wanting to ride and forget.
I've really held back saying this before, but I can't do it anymore. This is total BS. Where do you come up with this crap? Can you show any evidence for any of these claims you are making? How can TTS with or without the stock narrow-band O2 sensors provide a better tune that a PCV-AT with wide-band sensors? Please explain in detail.

One of many examples "I started my EFI adventure pcIII then stepped up to the sert to try to get better results. I was intrigued with auto tune and added the Terry's components terminal velocity to the sert. I still was not satisfied with the results and stepped up to buying a DTT wego system to get auto tune. I fought this system for a couple of years and never got my economy better than 36 mpg and always had knock issues. The DTT can't deal with timing adjustment. So I upgraded to the TTS system and have been satisfied since."
Maybe this guy didn't know how to tune the previous tuners used. You can't take one testimonial, like "My friend's Ford broke so therefore Chevy is the better truck," and extrapolate it throughout a product line.

Last edited by iclick; 01-27-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I quoted the parts of the post(s) to save time for the readers. Its just proper etiquette in most forums when you have long posts and want to save page scrolling by directing attention to certain text, although that can be misleading. Sorry if it offends you but anyone that wants to read the entire post can go back and look. I think you covered more ground than the OP and were asking for proof.

In a nutshell, I THINK YOU ARE DEAD WRONG AND WILL TAKE THAT BET ANYTIME. Anybody can tell the difference between a canned PCV tune and TTS tune on a late model stock bike or one with slip ons or one with major mods, doesn't matter. I don't have the references here, but there have been magazine articles with comparisons. Its an individual personal/emotional judgment call, however, if it makes any real difference to ride satisfaction. Most of us just want to ride reliably and what we get from the factory is just great.

I don't know how you got from damaging a bike to catching on fire... reading into my wording I suppose someone could draw that conclusion... I dunno. I was thinking more in terms of burnt valves or pistons.

BTW how much is a stage I upgrade... last I checked I thought it was close to $1000.
Correct

Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by producer
Off topic; Iclick, what's a stage 1-1/2? I've never heard of that. Iis that some kind of new High tech engine configuration?
That's just a tongue-in-cheek reference to my bike's minimal performance upgrades. It is a TC96 with Stage 1 and cam upgrades. A true Stage II goes further with flat-top pistons and more displacement (103ci). So, Stage 1½ is in between.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

The TTS system is miles ahead because of what it can do and it's reliability. I've never heard or read any thread that states that their TTS software made their bike stop running or limp home or fried wires or got full of water. That's good enough evidence for me and hopefully you too Ewalker302.
How many PC owners have you heard of with "fried wires" resulting from a fault in the unit? I've heard of none. Anyway, could you explain how this could even happen given the voltages used in this solid-state device? Limped home? A very few PC's fail, but it is a statistically insignificant number in light of the number of PC's sold over the years. Fuel Moto claims they see <1% returned, and most of those test good.

"Got full of water"? Please explain this one. If you're suggesting PC's leak, I've never heard this claim. If you mean the connectors leaking, this can happen just like it can happen with a stock-ECM connection, as the connectors are the same. Most competent installers would use dielectric grease in making these connections anyway.

Last edited by iclick; 01-27-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Can someone please explain to me what an adaptive tuner is? I need to know.
It's the ability of the ECU to adapt to varying conditions, like air temp, humidity, altitude, etc. It does this using three sensors: MAP, intake air temp, and front head temp. The only tuner I'm aware of that does not use the stock ECU's full adaptive features is the Thundermax, as it eliminates the stock ECU completely, but the PCx and SEST/TTS both do. It has been suggested falsely here that the PCx disables these functions, but it is just one of several misconceptions flailed around in this thread.

Last edited by iclick; 01-27-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: SERT vs. other Tuners?!?!?!