Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT vs. other Tuners?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyrodex76
Thanks for the tips and information. My bike does not have the O2 sensors. They started on the 2007 models I believe. The only tuner we have around here is my HD Dealer..very rural area so might have to be a Do It Yourself project. Im interested in this TTS tuner. Where can I find this and the software? From the sounds I can load onto my laptop and do the tuning right from there without a Dyno and get it pretty close, Right?
correct!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyrodex76
Thanks for the tips and information. My bike does not have the O2 sensors. They started on the 2007 models I believe. The only tuner we have around here is my HD Dealer..very rural area so might have to be a Do It Yourself project. Im interested in this TTS tuner. Where can I find this and the software? From the sounds I can load onto my laptop and do the tuning right from there without a Dyno and get it pretty close, Right?
Yes, but you need O2 sensors installed on the bike if you don't have them. I don't know if its been discussed here but there is an active thread over on the HD tech talk forum where someone updated to the TTS tuning kit on a couple 05s, maybe earlier. The few parts you need are listed as well as some advice.

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....c,21240.0.html

The software and comm adapter is available from several forum sponsors, like FuelMoto and Phatt I believe.... maybe others. I think that discussion also mentions someone that sells an entire kit, O2 sensors TTS and all if interested. They also mention which ECUs are directly compatible.

The cool thing about running with O2 sensors is that the ECU will adapt real time to changes in fuel and riding conditions, so you can get the best combination of power, drivability, and mpg for your taste and do it safely.

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-23-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I never really cared for the "piggy back" systems. I have to respectfully disagree with producer about you losing fuel economy with the PC though. You can lean it out pretty much as far as you want to go. I definately prefer the SERT or the SEST, but remember, this is coming from a dyno tuner. The SERT, SEST and PC all have "canned" MAPS available to you, and with a Softail with Vance and Hines and S.E. A/C being a very very popular build, it would be VERY easy to find a custom map for your bike for any of them. I couln't tell you how many times I have dyno tuned that combination and I have tons of tuned MAPS that would be closer than the "canned" MAPS and if you want one e-mailed to you i'd be more than happy to give you one.
PM sent

Old 01-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I chose the PC system from Dynojet because it was also Harley-Davidson's first choice. Dynojet and HD could not agree to terms for dealer distribution, so they chose to put the HD name on their SERT system instead. However, Dynojet and I were able to agree to terms, and it's miles of smiles ever since! And if my PC system fails, I can unplut it and limp home.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Firetender
I chose the PC system from Dynojet because it was also Harley-Davidson's first choice. .... it's miles of smiles ever since!
Yes the answer years ago was PC and fuel pack/XiED, but times have changed and I think there are a broader range of choices and better tuning tools available to amateurs today... even more miles of smiles

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-25-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

The problem I have with PC is that it interupts signals and lies to the ECU for the changes. PC will NEVER have the tuning power of SERT, SEST or TTS and i'm sure others. Take the rev limiter for instance, sure you can raise it with the PC but you get 1 option and the tach doesn't work properly on newer bikes with the revXtend enabled in the PC. Might as well leave it off, what good is it if your bike limits at 6250 RPM but you don't know where you are at aver 5100 RPM? The downfall of the SERT, SEST and TTS is that it marries to the bike, once you program your ECU with it, it cannot be used on another bike, whereas the PC you can remove and sell if you so desire. It all comes down to personal preference. Cost seems to be a big factor (which I don't get) we spend 15 grand plus on our machines then throw thousands more at them in upgrades and chrome, but people want to skimp on the fuel management. I guess having a bike that looks good is better than getting all out of your performance. I bet if the chrome plated a tuner and had it mount on the handlebars they could get 700 bucks for it.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I chose the PC system from Dynojet because it was also Harley-Davidson's first choice. Dynojet and HD could not agree to terms for dealer distribution, so they chose to put the HD name on their SERT system instead. However, Dynojet and I were able to agree to terms, and it's miles of smiles ever since! And if my PC system fails, I can unplut it and limp home.
1) Is that the latest SEST that you are talking about? The first SERT
was a joint venture with TTS. Who makes the latest SEST?
2) I don't need to un-plug and limp home. Mine never takes poop.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Harley was in negotiations with PC to have them manufacture the first version of SERT, but they couldn't come to terms so HD went with TTS instead. I would have to assume that if PC and HD would have came to terms that they (PC) would have had something differn't than the PCIII, i'm sure Harley would've wanted them to design a product (Like SERT) that would allow to re-write the ECU and not just piggyback it because they want it to marry to the bike.

Edit: I've never had to "limp" home neither. Not to mention I don't have to worry about water. Anytime you are adding hardware you are adding another part that can fail. Just about anyone with a computer can attest to that.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM
ewalker302
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer in Baton Rouge is pcv certified, they sell them, and do dyno tuning. When talking to the guys at the dealership that actually do the tuning, they said they prefer the pcv, and claim they can get a better tune out of it over the sert.

Any other dealer I have been to of course says the harley tuner is the greatest thing ever, and all the others are junk.

Only mods are rush slip ons and a stage 1 a/c, probably changing cams in the future, and after researching mainly on this site, and seeing that one of the largest Harley dealers in my area was "specializing" in the pcv instead of their own product, I bought one from fuelmoto with the canned map.

Having access to Jamie (Fuelmoto) on this board, and reading his posts about their mapping process certainly affected my decision as well.

So many people have stage 1 and rush slip ons, i figured the map for this setup must be pretty dead on by now.

Anyways I just have the slip ons installed now, Going to install the pcv, and the stage 1 in a week or two, so I guess I will see if I did the right thing.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:04 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ewalker302
So many people have stage 1 and rush slip ons, i figured the map for this setup must be pretty dead on by now.
Perhaps close but not dead on for your bike, as no two bikes are identical. The canned maps have to be detuned to cover the worst case bike. There is a surprising amount of variance between otherwise identical bikes.

The PC may be the simplest tuner that provides good results for those handy with installing hardware, and simplest for a dyno tuner to tune if he has the hardware. But it can't get you as good a tune as a TTS or a SERT with a good tech.... not implying the shop you talked to doesn't have good techs. Its a judgment call here on what is good enough.

Something like a SERT or TTS just provides many more variables to adjust to a specific bike's characteristics and with higher fidelity. There is no question the PC will provide a better tune than what comes off the factory floor, but they do cripple the ECU from adapting, and therefore on the street, more safety margin needs to be put in which means you are not running as optimum tune.

Quick Reply: SERT vs. other Tuners?!?!?!