Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Automotive machine 105

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Automotive machine 105

Hello,
My bike is now back together and ready to break in.....
Problem is I have a race tuner..Screaming eagle Race tuner.
I knew when Harley didn't do my top end that I would have a problem with the tuner..as he is also one of the top engine guys. I called to set up a time to have them flash my bike. They told me they were a little choked I didn't have them do it and they weren't sure they wanted to do a flash for me. I told them that I would come to them for my retune once broke in. To make a long story short...bottom line he said it's in my best interest to bring my bike in and hop on the dyno so they could sniff the exhaust and see how close the map is. being a 105 they can get close-like a 103. Here's the kicker they want 5 hours to do a canned map..600 bucks. then I come back once broke in and do a custom map for at least another 5.
I want the most out of my build however I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the tuning issue. There is a couple tuners in town none of which will touch the race tuner.
What are my options? I would like to tear the race tuner out and smash it but it's bought and paid for.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

I think they are right about not installing a download. Breaking it in and tuning on the dyno is much better than riding it for 500 miles not knowing where your afr or timing is. 5 hours is about right to build a custom map. I don't agree that it has to be done a second time. Done right the first time and you should be good to go. Only time you would have to re-dyno is if you changed engine components or replaced an injector. The race tuner is not the best tuning device on the market today but it is still capable of dialing in your bike. It is the guy using the tuning device that is the big variable.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Milty
Road Master

I agree on the dyno with the sniffer is the way to go. But it's not a custom map. Just a baseline canned map, with a sniffer to see how close it is. They already said it would run like chit. Just don't think 5 hours to flash a canned map is reasonable. I think I'll look into another tuning system and cut them out of the equation. I will pay for a custom map when break in is complete but I won't throw cash away to say they did it for me..

Old 01-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

If you have the SERT look into getting it upgraded for $100 to the TTS. Again I wouldn't wait to break it in before the tune. A good dyno guy can break it in safely on the dyno. With the TTS you can tune it very close yourself.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Milty
Road Master

Lonewolf I didn't know you could get it upgraded with the TTS. You can't tune a bike completely before the engine is broke in..Because there is a foot of snow on the ground I am taking my bike to the indy shop, loading a base map for my sert, sniff the exhaust to see how close the map is, tuner will tweak it a bit. But no real runs I'll just do a few cycles to make sure the map is not too lean.
I think I have decided on a Tmax w/autotune seems like the best out there..?
..In my experience the only guys that mess with the Sert around here aren't very straight..
How does this TTS work? I thought that was a stand alone unit like the SERT. I am interested in the TTS if it performs well for that price.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

PM sent

Old 01-16-2010, 01:09 PM
GAguy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several ways to do it yourself from $50 to $300

Old 01-16-2010, 02:35 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ams uses a place called the dyno difference for their tuning, they use sert and pc3. i would call steve at ams and see if he would send you a close breakin map.