Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT/ ECM Meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 PM
exsatdiver
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT/ ECM Meltdown

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have an 04' RK Custom with a 95" kit, SE 203 cams, SE Heavy Breather, and V&H True duals with Bassani Muffs. I have had the SERT since the bike was new, and no apparent problems. After the engine upgrade, remapped without a glitch. After running for about 4K miles, i noticed a popping coming from the rear cylinder. We hooked up to the computer that was used to map the bike after the upgrade. We also used a different CD, since it was already in his computer, and he has just recently finished his engine upgrade with no problems. Here's where it gets sketchy. After connecting everything correctly, all of the data confirmed, we tried to find the correct map. The only one it showed that matched my setup was a different number than the one that was loaded into my ECM. We figured no big deal, and tried to load it. Didn't work, got to 40% and quit, and went into ECM recovery mode. Moving on, we got the disc that came with my SERT and tried to get it to recognize that map. Not Found was the response. We followed the directions on the tuning program to no avail. The last message said "Take it to the HD dealer and have them reload it". Any of you seen this before? why would the map be one way on one disc different on another disc?
What's my next step? BTW I talke to a service guy at HD dealer, and he said it would be a 2 week turnaround to send it to the factory and have it reloaded.
Thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have seen the old tuners u have go bad i also heard for $100.00 u can upgrade your tuner to the same specs as the new supertuner just my 2 cents good luck bro BTW i went and bought new supertuner and they say it is the one to have.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by exsatdiver
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have an 04' RK Custom with a 95" kit, SE 203 cams, SE Heavy Breather, and V&H True duals with Bassani Muffs. I have had the SERT since the bike was new, and no apparent problems. After the engine upgrade, remapped without a glitch. After running for about 4K miles, i noticed a popping coming from the rear cylinder. We hooked up to the computer that was used to map the bike after the upgrade. We also used a different CD, since it was already in his computer, and he has just recently finished his engine upgrade with no problems. Here's where it gets sketchy. After connecting everything correctly, all of the data confirmed, we tried to find the correct map. The only one it showed that matched my setup was a different number than the one that was loaded into my ECM. We figured no big deal, and tried to load it. Didn't work, got to 40% and quit, and went into ECM recovery mode. Moving on, we got the disc that came with my SERT and tried to get it to recognize that map. Not Found was the response. We followed the directions on the tuning program to no avail. The last message said "Take it to the HD dealer and have them reload it". Any of you seen this before? why would the map be one way on one disc different on another disc?
What's my next step? BTW I talke to a service guy at HD dealer, and he said it would be a 2 week turnaround to send it to the factory and have it reloaded.
Thanks.
One thing I would try would be a different usb to serial cable if you don't have the belkin one. Some of the USB/Serial cables don't work real well. If you are using the belkin double check all the connections and perhaps try using a different USB port on the computer.

To answer your question about different maps/discs - each time there is a software update the maps are brought current with that software version. In some instances the last letter/number combination is advanced. If you are using a generic map that came on the CD, your best bet would be to find the latest software disc you have, load it into the computer and use the maps on that CD.

I would think that using the digital tech the Harley shop could load the original calibration back onto your ECM. You would then need to update it with the SERT again. I don't know this for a fact, perhaps ShovelHead Bob can elaborate here.

Last edited by TickTock; 01-07-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,579 Likes on 1,814 Posts

All that has to be done is to reflash the stock download into your bikes ECM. Take the bike in, have them download the correct STOCK (that way they don't have to pay for it, and should only charge you minimal labor for hooking it up) download, and then you can reload your SERT map at home.
HTH
Robin

Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 AM
user 9375875
Banned

Unfortunately, when it gets to 40% the flash has been erased - once the software is shut down either the dealer or TTS has to reflash the ECM.

I suggest contacting TTS and sending them your ECM and SERT and having it upgraded to the TTS MasterTune. They will recover the ECM - and, this will give you a more reliable tuner, probably for the same cost of the dealer reflash!

With the TTS, you can restore a 'dead' ecm, which gives you a level of protection you just don't have with the HD SERT or SEST product.

--Gary

Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
TickTock
Club Member

If you have a good rapport with your dealer they may put it back to original for no cost. It only takes the time to hook the bike up to the computer and push a couple of buttons to flash the ecm. I know they normally charge but if you are a good customer they may just "hook a brother up"!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
exsatdiver
Novice

Sorry guys the last one posted before I finished writing. Thanks for the input guys. I can't get my bike to the dealer unless I can get someone to trailer it. The current condition won't let me start the bike. Can the dealer reflash the ECM off of the bike? "Tick Tock", I did all of the things you said, and no luck. As far as the map goes, we loaded the newer disc and tried the newer version of the same map. ( the one currently in my bike the last 3 digits are 076 and the newer version is 100). That is when we first had the problem, it stopped loading at 40%. "Hogflash" you said contact TTS, are they affiliated with HD? What's the turnaround time for them? "streetgliderick", Did you have to pay full retail for the new Tuner? Can they upgrade mine off of the bike?
Thanks again guys.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 AM
TickTock
Club Member

TTS is www.mastertune.net

Back in the day they produced the SERT and now they have their own version which is essentially the same but better.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the ECM is burned up.... Seen it before.... 'specially on the 03-04 MY ecm's...

Only way to confirm it is to have the ECM recalibrated with the Stock Calibration (Must be done at your dealer)... If, and this is a biggie, If it does the exact same thing, it will also generate a DTC, that will relate to the flashable memory portion of the ECM... That will tell you that the ECM is toasted....

Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM
user 9375875
Banned

Originally Posted by exsatdiver
Sorry guys the last one posted before I finished writing. Thanks for the input guys. I can't get my bike to the dealer unless I can get someone to trailer it. The current condition won't let me start the bike. Can the dealer reflash the ECM off of the bike? "Tick Tock", I did all of the things you said, and no luck. As far as the map goes, we loaded the newer disc and tried the newer version of the same map. ( the one currently in my bike the last 3 digits are 076 and the newer version is 100). That is when we first had the problem, it stopped loading at 40%. "Hogflash" you said contact TTS, are they affiliated with HD? What's the turnaround time for them? "streetgliderick", Did you have to pay full retail for the new Tuner? Can they upgrade mine off of the bike?
Thanks again guys.
Don't know about your dealer, but TTS can turn around the ECM in one day. Up to you how much $$ you want to pay to expedite shipping. All they need is your SERT and the ECM. Cost to upgrade to TTS MasterTune is $100 + shipping.

It is very unlikely the ECM is actually damaged - it just needs to be reflashed with a different tool than the SERT software.

TTS is NOT affiliated with H-D. The were the original developer and supplier of the SERT system to HD back in the day.

--Gary

Quick Reply: SERT/ ECM Meltdown