Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

strange fuel pump noise at start-up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:38 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strange fuel pump noise at start-up?

I notice on my '07 FXDL that sometimes when I click the "start" switch, the EFI fuel pump will make a different sound than normal. Usually, it's just just a brief high-pitch whine. But from time to time, it will make a lower-pitched sound - but the bikes starts up fine. It's almost like it's having to work harder to get the fuel pumped. Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed similar behavior? (I had a similar experience with my '06 1200GS but I sold it before I bothered to have this looked at.)

Old 07-18-2006, 07:18 PM
gbm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: strange fuel pump noise at start-up?

Yep, same symptom on my '06 Low Rider. The pump sings a diffrent tune each time and I can't nail it to position of bike, amount of fuel, time since last ride, the weather forcast, clean underwear or my attitude in general. Maybe it'll crap out before the two years is up, but I doubt it.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:01 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: strange fuel pump noise at start-up?

ORIGINAL: gbm

Yep, same symptom on my '06 Low Rider. The pump sings a diffrent tune each time and I can't nail it to position of bike, amount of fuel, time since last ride, the weather forcast, clean underwear or my attitude in general. Maybe it'll crap out before the two years is up, but I doubt it.
If it does crap out it will probably not happen at your house but when you are on the road somewhere. Good old Murphys Law.