Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

H-D SEST Tuners - How Simple To Use ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default H-D SEST Tuners - How Simple To Use ?

I see a site on EBay where new/unopened SEST's are being sold for $250/shipped. How simple are they to use ? I believe I'd need to order the tuning cable/software to have the complete set-up ? My bike is pretty basic now, being a 09 FLHT with SE intake, V&H slip-ons, stage 1 download and currently a V&H fuelpak installed. After removing the Fuelpak, would I connect the SEST/cable to my PC (with loaded software) and be able to transfer info to my ECU via tuning cable ? Where does the SEST connect to on the bike ? Great price if it is user friendly without alot of dealer/tuner assistance required ....

Old 12-29-2009, 10:05 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SEST itself is easy to use, its understanding EFI and what to set the tuning values to that's complicated. You need a dyno or tuner to set it up right.

You can get a factory fresh TTS for about $400, a better product IMHO and easier to use than the SEST. The TTS is a do it your self, no dyno tool.

The SEST, or TTS, is made up of a dongle, cables, and software. The dongle is connected to the bike's diagnostic port under the fuse box cover. The other side of the dongle is connected to a laptop or computer, usually through a USB converter ($80 or so extra). Start up the application on the PC and turn on the bike and there you go.

The SEST, or was it SERT, was replaced by something newer, The dongle may not have changed, just the software.. not sure. These may be left over inventory that they are trying to get rid of... either as an older model or maybe because many are buying the TTS.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I'd be better off with a PCV based upon my computer knowledge, EFI knowledge and limited upgrades I'd do to my bike... Sheeeesh

Old 12-29-2009, 12:35 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

The same guys that developed the SERT developed the TTS Mastertune. Have not contacted them to confirm but it is my understanding that they can now upgrade a SERT to the TTS.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I think I'd be better off with a PCV based upon my computer knowledge, EFI knowledge and limited upgrades I'd do to my bike... Sheeeesh
You might be right...if you're not going to spend the time to learn EFI/tuning basics, then something like the PCV might be a better solution. Of course you'll have to be happy with someone else's map for your bike.

As far as upgrades are concerned, the TTS works quite well on just a stock bike. But the beauty of the TTS is being able to do a re-tune without the need of a dyno or vendor map request for something as simply as an upgraded air cleaner.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
mrbadlands
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
As far as upgrades are concerned, the TTS works quite well on just a stock bike. But the beauty of the TTS is being able to do a re-tune without the need of a dyno or vendor map request for something as simply as an upgraded air cleaner.

Good luck!
Not trying to hijack the thread, but would a TTS benefit from the use of a competent tuner and his dyno?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbadlands
Not trying to hijack the thread, but would a TTS benefit from the use of a competent tuner and his dyno?
In a word, YES!

The VTune part of the program allows the bike to be ridden on the street (or dyno) and collects data in those normal street rpm and load ranges (about 80% to 90% of the total rpm/load range).

Most riders spend little to no time at WOT and most of their time at cruising speeds when riding. A good street-run VTune will work well for those areas.

For the upper end of the range to WOT, the competent use of a dyno will be very helpful.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:50 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

After talking to the service tech and a dyno tech yesterday, I pulled the plug and bought a SEST. Don't really need it for my stage 1 set-up but I want it for when I do cams/.030 gasket this next fall. They told me that for $45 they'd do A.) base pull to see where I'm at with SE intake/V&H slip-ons and stage 1 download. B.) Connect/mate up the SEST with my ECM, download a canned map for my set-up. C.) Do a 2nd pull to check all the ratios and numbers to make sure all is good. They said that they could do that in 45 minutes and it sounded OK with me. I'll get a custom tune after my motor mods are done ....

Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Pardner
Cruiser

Sounds like a good price from the dealer. My local dealer wants $150 just for the download. Like others have said though, SEST make you a slave to the dyno. BTW, not all dyno tuners are created equal, your next challenge will be to find a good one in your area.

Good luck,
Pard

Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 AM
user 9375875
Banned

Originally Posted by djl
The same guys that developed the SERT developed the TTS Mastertune. Have not contacted them to confirm but it is my understanding that they can now upgrade a SERT to the TTS.
Yes, you can upgrade the older SERT to the new TTS Mastertune. Cost is $100, check http://www.mastertune.net/SERTUpgrade.html for details.

--Gary

Quick Reply: H-D SEST Tuners - How Simple To Use ?