Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bottom Line... What ECM Option?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bottom Line... What ECM Option?

I've got an '06 RK Classic with V&H Slip-on Ovals, a SE air kit with a K&N filter element, and 8 degree injectors and I can't decide where to go with my factory ECM...

I've searched through the threads looking for the answer and I can't find a good one. It is almost like asking which color for a bike, everyone has an opinion and it usually mirrors what they bought, not necessarily what is the best. However, unlike the color of a bike, the ECM is in the world of black & white. Electronics & mechanics and there SHOULD be a logical and correct answer to the ECM dilema.

I've had the bike two weeks and was told by the dealer where I bought it to NOT install a PCIII because it wouldn't run the bike as well as the HD SERT, especially on an '06. As a minimum, they recommended the HD flash. Although it was not built for the V&H pipes, it would be "close enough". So, I installed my V&H pipes & SE air cleaner just prior to the 1,000 mile check with the thought I would have them flash it with the HD flash. The flash is quick, easy, and the cheapest of all the options out there. From what I understand it would also keep me from damaging anything and give me a little more power to boot. The flash was my plan since I will not be constantly changing my pipes & intake, nor do I see me slaving over a dyno trying to squeeze another 2 horsepower out of my 88 inch motor. The service manager at the dealership which did my 1,000 mile check also endorsed the flash and put one on order for me.

When I arrived to get the 1,000 mile check the service manager wasn't there and the ranking mechanic came out with the flash module in his hand and asked in an accusing manner if I really wanted to do this to my bike! He said it was next to useless and his recommendation? PCIII...

Now, after all of that I'm out of ideas. One thing I find interesting is how many bikes in this forum with PCIIIs also have the HD Stage I flash! Is the PCIII not able to tweak everything without the stage 1 flash? Is the SERT any better? Will the basic HD Flash work for my needs? Not that money is a big deal, but will the PCIII give me $150-200 more in performance over the HD flash or is it just another gadget to play with? Will I need the flash to get the most out of it?

Sorry for the rambling, but I keep getting different answers from everyone. The biggest problem is unlike the mechanical things we can all see, the ECM control and how we tweak it is a "mystery" to most.

Edmo

Old 07-16-2006, 01:26 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,023 Likes on 2,102 Posts
Default RE: Bottom Line... What ECM Option?

ORIGINAL: Edmo
.................................................. ....................................
I've had the bike two weeks and was told by the dealer where I bought it to NOT install a PCIII
because it wouldn't run the bike as well as the HD SERT, especially on an '06.
As a minimum, they recommended the HD flash.
.................................................. ....................................
asked in an accusing manner if I really wanted to do this to my bike!
He said it was next to useless and his recommendation? PCIII...
Is the PCIII not able to tweak everything without the stage 1 flash?

Is the SERT any better?
Will the basic HD Flash work for my needs?
Sorry for the rambling,
Edmo
MY opinion, The flash will PROBABLY work for your needs.

SERT - GOOD.

MY opinion, sert better.

PCIII, works around the ECM.

SERT, works the brain, rearranges the brain cells to where you want them.

The rambling is not to be worried about, you did get your message across.

edited to add:

the sert is a great tool, in my opinion.

And, the EPA may outlaw this soon, so get it NOW.

It marries to your VIN, and once they are no longer available, you will be

**** out of luck.

mud.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:36 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

It does get grey and for a reason. You wish to change exhaust and air filter with no other engine mods. If that is true a engine flash will be fine. Make sure it is a race flash since your not useing 49 state legal exhaust slip-ons that the regular stage 1 flash is for. Now the PCIII will do fine on mild engine builds but it only allows tuneing in like 2 tables. The SERT can handle much more changes since allows a complete tune but people are finding competent tuners hard to locate.The other thing about a SERT is it has the stage flashes so with one purchase you can do Screaming eagle builds and you have the flash they would install plus the ability to read fault codes and clear them. So really one needs to weigh what they are after now and in the future making it a grey area like what color paint. Personaly I believe the DTT TCFI 2 is the best but is also expensive especialy if all you plan to do is swap your pipes and air cleaner.

Happy trails and many happy miles.

Edit to say I believe DTT TCFI 2 is the best available at present.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the inputs...

The old bike mechanic down the road is the stereotypical biker mechanic and very methodical when it comes to working on bikes. He has the requisite collection of tats, a long pony tail and has wrenched on every kind of bike you can imagine. However, when I talked to him he said "rejet the carb". When I told him about the fuel injection "thing" they are putting on bikes these days he reminded me you can work on a carb on the side of the road, but without a laptop a EFI bike is getting towed... "you should have gotten the carb..." I think that will be a little hard on the '07 models...

My Heritage had EFI and it was in the simple SE intake, SE pipes, & SE flash days. I never had a problem with the EFI and the bike performed better than stock and as good as I expected.

I'm still leaning towards the flash, but when the HD mechanic comes out and DOESN'T try to sell me an HD product it gets my attention and makes me second guess my plan. They don't carry the PCIII at this dealer so it wasn't an attempt to have me "upgrade" to a more expensive part. With the service manager gone he was giving me his honest opinion and trying to steer me in the right direction.

Edmo

Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 PM
jjsanta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Stage1 flash on my '06 SG. I installed mufflers and the K&N intake kit. The bike runs fine with the HD flash, just like it did stock with a little more power and better response. I still may add a PCIII down the road, but just to play around with. Plus, if the PCIII ever goes bad on the road you can just pull it out and ride home ok if you have the right flash.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a Terry Components Terminal Velocity II unit on it and you'll be set to go. No dyno needed and better fuel mileage too. I put one on my 03 SERK with the CVO103, SE air cleaner, and S&S570 cams, & Rinehart True Duals. I have NO flash from the factory and the bike runs great and mileage is better than my wife's 88 Deluxe. I think I'll put one on her bike when it's out of warranty. I've got around 2000 miles on mine now and no problems.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:05 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

The SERT connects to the ECM that is already in the MC and allows you to modify the programming for the timing, and fuel delivery.

Everything else on the market is an add on to the ECM. It captures and modifies the signal from the ecm to the engine.

If you want the maximum performance for your ride. Get a SERT. Have it dyno tuned.

You and the MC will be happy.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Zyklon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD adding the narrow band O2 sensors to the 06 EFI models has created lots of headaches for those wanting to modify the intake and exhaust on their bikes. If you search the forum you will find that the consensus is to get the PCIII, the SERT, or some other aftermarket fuel map / ECM modifier and get the bike dyno tuned by a competent tuner. Yes the bike will run on the flash but one of the aftermarket controllers and a dynamometer tune will create a custom fuel map that will make the engine run much closer to its potential and allow you to eliminate the O2 sensor or alter the O2 sensor data which is something the flash does not do.

Zyklon

Old 07-20-2006, 05:39 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the SERT. It's made by HD and it contains the means to alter all of the data in your ECM. It has tables to adjust the voltage to the O2 sensors so they work with your desired fuel mixture. Comes with ready made maps for your bike to get you started. It's the best money I ever spent on my bike. You can order them online for about $360. You won't realize how crappy a stock bike runs until you ride a properly tuned one.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:07 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The flash is $hit and is tuned to only please the EPA. Pay special attention to the SERT recomendations. Well worth the money.

Quick Reply: Bottom Line... What ECM Option?