Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

09 FLRH / I read that you do not need a Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 PM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 FLRH / I read that you do not need a Tuner?

Dont know remember where I read this but I thought that I read that the 09> models do not require a tuner or PC if you change the mufflers and air cleaner? System is supposed to be a open loop or closed loop??

I have a stock 09 and plan to put on a set of the Screamin Eagle performance mufflers and possibly a high flow AC or just replace the stock AC with a K&N one.

John

Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets summarize:

Yes >09 runs much more closed loop that previous years, but wide open throttle and acceleration is still open loop. Recall that the ECU squirts fuel based on how efficient the engine pumps air. Anything that changes the air pump efficiency (VE) affects the engine performance because the MAP is now out of whack. Changing mufflers don't upset things enough to make much difference, and the sound may be worth it, changing to a free flow air filter makes much more of an impact.

So you don't have to change anything, but you may not like how well it runs. It will run safely. You will get a code before things get too far out of hand. You may have exhaust pop, hesitation, run hot, but it should not hurt anything except perhaps your ride satisfaction.

The factory download of a MAP that has the factory tune for free flow exhaust and AF is a waste of $$ but better than nuttin.

Currently, if you want to easily get the most out of the bike from stock to major mods, put a TTS Mastertune on it and have fun.

Last edited by ColdCase; 12-15-2009 at 11:07 AM.