Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

T-max vs. Dyno tuned stock ecm

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
brickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-max vs. Dyno tuned stock ecm

OK I'm finally getting my heads ported (10.1 - 1) and going with andrews 54 (Replacing SE 211) cams. My question is this. Is a dyno tuned stock ecm going to make my bike run "that much" better than a T-Max with auto tune. I'm done modding the motor and don't anticipate changing the exhaust, cams or throttle bodies for a long time if ever. The guy that will be doing the tuning really knows his stuff and reccomends tuning the stock ecm for optimum (Power, mileage, cooler running) performance. He could dyno tune the T-Max but thinks I'd be better off selling it to recoup a little money. What do you guys think?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

I agree.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

How do you tune the stock ECM?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 AM
brickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
The tuning dude has software to adjust air fuel ratios on stock ecm. Run bike on a dyno at mutiple rpm and throttle positions and tune for best performance at each of those positions.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, the stock ECU squirts fuel and lites off the mix based on several sensor inputs. The rules are in a so called MAP. A computer connected to the diagnostic port is used to load MAPS. The tuner uses his dyno to measure torque/HP/emissions throughout the RMP and engine load ranges, tweeks the MAP for optimum performance and reloads it with his computer. Some dyno shops are more thourough than others, but a good one will do everything from idle to rev limiter, partial to full throttle. I good shop will tweak timing as well as A/F.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
TTS Tuner or SERT

Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 AM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

How do you dyno tune a stock ecm??

Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DECON BLUE
How do you dyno tune a stock ecm??
Same as you would any bike, except that the tuner makes A/F and timing adjustment by computer (e.g. TTS or SEST). See my post above... or perhaps I don't understand the question.

If you have O2 sensors on the bike, the TTS tool allows you to tune either based on street driving measurements or a dyno. The SEST does too but currently doesn't work as well as the TTS.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
TickTock
Club Member

you need a dongle (SERT, TTS, SEST) which allows you to communicate and change the programming in the stock ECM. This is an additional piece of equipment that you will need to purchase that just works with your bike and ecm. The tuner then uses that device and changes a base map or calibration and uploads that into the ECM. This is a progressive process where modifications are made, A/F is tested, adjustments are made and the file gets resent to the ECM until the tuner is happy with the end result.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep your ThunderMax. That's the whole point of it.

Quick Reply: T-max vs. Dyno tuned stock ecm