Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

T-max vs. Dyno tuned stock ecm

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the tmax w/auto now, keep it. It will get you very close. If not, then having a dyno run on the stock ECM using TTS Mastertune (or other equivalent) will work fine.

Of course, you can also tune the TMax using a dyno just as successfully as the stock ECM. And, if you put the stock ECM back in the bike, spend the $$$ for a dyno tune, and like it, you can sell the TMax.

I bought the TMax because I plan to make many changes over time and did not want to spend the $$$ for a dyno tune after each change.

Your mileage will vary
...gene

Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 PM
brickie
Cruiser

My tuner pretty much told me that his tune would be much better than a T-Max with auto-tune could ever self tune. He said you would have to download a map that was really close to begin with (I guess most maps available are not that close) and then auto-tune could dial it in closer from there. Anyone ever compare a map adjusted by T-Max with auto-tune to a custom dyno tuned map? (using the same bike)

Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brickie
My tuner pretty much told me that his tune would be much better than a T-Max with auto-tune could ever self tune. He said you would have to download a map that was really close to begin with (I guess most maps available are not that close) and then auto-tune could dial it in closer from there. Anyone ever compare a map adjusted by T-Max with auto-tune to a custom dyno tuned map? (using the same bike)
No, but since I run a tmax I can tell you this. Autotune will only do the afrs. For a complete tune the timing needs tweeking as well. If you have the time and patience you can dial the tmax in, but it would be quicker on a dyno when it comes to timing. Or look at it another way. Dyno tune both and the results should end up the same when done. Problem is many tuners aren't familiar with tmax and go with what they know best and feel comfy with for getting the best results.
Ron

Old 12-08-2009, 09:49 PM
brickie
Cruiser

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I guess what I can deduce from all this is that a custom dyno tune by a good tuner is going to produce a better running bike than the T-Max could ever do on its own (auto tuning) Guess I'll go the route of having my 103" dyno tuned and hopefully I will be satisfied with the power I have. I'll leave the damn thing alone and just enjoy riding it for a long while. Probably will be selling my T-Max.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 AM
rbabos
Banned

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I guess what I can deduce from all this is that a custom dyno tune by a good tuner is going to produce a better running bike than the T-Max could ever do on its own (auto tuning) Guess I'll go the route of having my 103" dyno tuned and hopefully I will be satisfied with the power I have. I'll leave the damn thing alone and just enjoy riding it for a long while. Probably will be selling my T-Max.
I'm confused. Why not dyno tune the tmax, since you already have it?
Ron

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 446 Likes on 124 Posts

Check with Zippers for your specific build for a timing and AFR related base map. Ideally a dyno tune with your Tmax to dial in timing (if needed) is best. The auto tune function will adjust for changing conditions required for AFR, which conventional systems don't do.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 AM
brickie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rbabos
I'm confused. Why not dyno tune the tmax, since you already have it?
Ron

I may end up going that route. Would there be any advantage tuning a T-Max over the stock ECM other than by keeping the T-Max you could use it in the futurre if any changes to motor or exhaust is made? Is the T-Max harder to custom tune? My tuner's whole point of tuning the stock ecm is that I could recoup a little money by selling the T-Max. I have not discussed tuning the T-Max with him yet but I will. Thanks BeeRad I'll ask him about the timing thing.

Last edited by brickie; 12-10-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 AM
rbabos
Banned

I may end up going that route. Would there be any advantage tuning a T-Max over the stock ECM other than by keeping the T-Max you could use it in the futurre if any changes to motor or exhaust is made? Is the T-Max harder to custom tune? My tuner's whole point of tuning the stock ecm is that I could recoup a little money by selling the T-Max. I have not discussed tuning the T-Max with him yet but I will. Thanks BeeRad I'll ask him about the timing thing.
I guess it all boils down to how comfortable your tuner is with the tmax. Go with what will give you the best results. Tmax with wide band sensors will adapt to afr changes but even afr targets should be tuned while on the dyno as well as the timing. Remember these maps are close at best. Fine tuning them on the dyno builds the map custom to your application. That's as good as it gets. It all depends on your tuners attitude toward tmax. Take it from there. In regards to timing, keep in mind tmax doesn't use a map sensor and there is no knock sensing function. Max timing should be set at the worst conditions possible you will be driving in as in high heat . If you max it out in cool weather the could ping in the summer heat.
Ron
Ron

Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Not to knock anyones choice in tuning devices. The stock ecm and a TTS tuner gives so much control over how your bike runs. This combination is similar to some of the best efi control on the automotive side of fuel injection. Heck you can even edit the calibration # to match the factory.

Last edited by Lonewolf176; 12-11-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:16 AM
genedjr
Road Captain

After posting, I guess I need to ask what you are after? Do you want the last ft of power, the last hp of performance? You have a t-max and it will do a great job. Your tuner will do better, but at what cost - its 3 to 5 HP/TQ worth the $$$$.

If your tuner is that confident, make him have a bit of skin in the game. Let him tell you, the power band will be higher and flater. That the bike will have the power where you want it. Make him guarentee or its free.

A good tuner will always out perform any autotune. But there is a cost. Make sure you are confident that the costs are worth it, especially since you already have a t-max.
...gene

Quick Reply: T-max vs. Dyno tuned stock ecm