Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How much previous owner paid for engine upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM
car5car
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much previous owner paid for engine upgrades?

I downloaded map from PC III USB of my "new"
99 Ultra and following upgrades were listed:
Harley Davidson Touring model
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Screamin Eagle 95 inch kit (flat tops)
Screamin Eagle 203 cams
Screamin Eagle air filter
Stage 2 ECM
How much approximately was cost of parts and labor?
Original engine was 1450 (88")
How many HP does it have? What is stage 2 ECM?
Do I need to spray air filter with some kind of oil?
Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,235 Likes on 1,848 Posts

The price he paid could range widely depending on if he did the install or where he got the parts, etc. However, the stage 2 ECM means that he had the stage 2 dealer download performed. As for the air filter, if it is the older K&N style then you can use the K&N recharge kit for about $12 that comes with the cleaner and the filter oil. Or you could simply wash it in something like Dawn dish liquid, air dry and then get just some filter oil spray for it. Hard telling not knowing about how much HP it has. You would have to dyno it to find out.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you downloaded from the PC does not for a fact indicate what mods were on the bike. What you listed are the comments from the map file. In other words the download does not go into the engine and figure out what was installed.

What you need to know is whether it was a custom map or if it was downloaded or given to the previous owner. If it was downloaded or traded then it might be a best or close match to what the engine is. If it is a custom map and the tuner was a good tuner then it is likely that they updated the comments with the appropriate engine modifications. More than likely what you have listed is what is on/has been done to the bike - I am just suggesting that you should not trust what you are reading from the file.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 AM
car5car
Banned

Originally Posted by TickTock
I am just suggesting that you should not trust what you are reading from the file.
I understand that any map with any comments can be uploaded to any bike. But I bought it from insurance auction after accident so seller didn't upload map to lie to a buyer.
I found map for that configuration from PC site. My map was changed a lot, I am afraid it was modified by owner who had no idea what he was doing or by mechanic to compensate for vacuum leak.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Maps are all changed from a base map starting point....

It could very well be a 95" stage II, but it could also be an 88" Stage II, and the Tables were modified to accomodate the other mods, minus the BB kit...

The ONLY way to know what you have in that motor is to disassemble it and measure the Bore, as well as inspect the stampings on the cams....

There is a member her "Islander", bought a bike and was told it had a 95" Stage II kit... After he went to do some checking, it was found to have a stock 88" stage I....

Happens, if you don't have intimate knowledge of the bike, or don't have access to the service history and all reciepts...

Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by car5car
I understand that any map with any comments can be uploaded to any bike. But I bought it from insurance auction after accident so seller didn't upload map to lie to a buyer.
I found map for that configuration from PC site. My map was changed a lot, I am afraid it was modified by owner who had no idea what he was doing or by mechanic to compensate for vacuum leak.
If you found that map from the PC website and the comments are the same but the values in the cells are different - it only means that someone changed the numbers. They used this map as a starting point for either a dyno tune or hand manipulated it to what they wanted it to be.

I did not suggest anyone tried to lie to anyone by uploading an erroneous map; I am suggesting that what is in the comments does not necessarily reflect what is on the bike.

Comments are just comments.

Last edited by TickTock; 12-03-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:41 AM
car5car
Banned

Facts:
rear head says "Screaming Eagle",
front head says "CNC machined",
adjustable pushrods,
2 in 1 very loud exhaust

Last edited by car5car; 12-03-2009 at 11:52 AM.