Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

supersmart battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 04:31 PM
galleywinter
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supersmart battery tender

I just purchased an H-D Supersmart Battery Tender and when i hooked it up the amber light would not quit flashing. According to the manual this is not right, it should show a solid amber light for charging. It's an 09' FLHX Street Glide and hasn't been sitting long. Anyone know what's going on?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Take it back and get the Battery Tender Jr. for about $20. I've had mine for 5 years and use it more on my truck than my bike. I have a power drain on my truck. It charged my dead truck battery in a few hours and keeps it charged. I ride my bike too much to have to use it.

http://www.pacificbattery.com/charge...FYZM5QodlzcMqA

Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site, and the H-D charger must have gone bad. Take it back before they say they won't warrente it.

I have several Sears tenders on various batteries and never a problem.

I won a H-D tender as a door prize when going to the dealer for parts one day. It never worked. I just tossed it out.

You will find not every single thing H-D labels and sells is an actually US made quality part or item.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 PM
streetriders
Intermediate

I have a hd charger on my streetgide amber light means its charging-greenflashig means system check -steady green means battery charged charger in stanby mode. Ive had this since 2007 havent had a dead battery yet. By the way this is the factory original 2005-2006 battery-I also use this on my wifes 2008 Sportster no problem with either bike

Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 764 Likes on 666 Posts

could mean that the battery is nearing full charge as mine does until it goes full green. the instructions should say but i doubt bring it back. wally-world and harbor freight sell tenders for far less money, why pay for hd markings.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Deuceandahalf
Cruiser

I've got several battery tenders (non HD branded) and they have all perform great with no problems for over 7 years. Also have a sears tender I've used several years with no problems other than it gets hot which I don't like but I'm careful where I place it.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 PM
ChuckM
Stage I

I have a question about these chargers, particularly the Harley Davidson Supersmart tender. I received one of these with a 97 Dyna Low Rider some time ago, but I've never used it because I ride the bike quite frequently and it hasn't been needed. I have another bike, an older 1973 Ironhead XLCH, and I need to charge the battery on that bike up.
I haven't seen what these items look like new, but apparently there is a sort of an adapter which goes from the transformer to the battery terminals (already hardwired into the Low Rider) and it seems like if I could get one of those, it could be used to charge up the Ironhead.
Anyone want to confirm this idea? If you know where such an adapter could be found, let me know,
Thanks, ChuckM

Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 PM
dropone
Supporter

No problem.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:36 PM
dropone
Supporter
Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by galleywinter
I just purchased an H-D Supersmart Battery Tender and when i hooked it up the amber light would not quit flashing. According to the manual this is not right, it should show a solid amber light for charging. It's an 09' FLHX Street Glide and hasn't been sitting long. Anyone know what's going on?
Got it hooked up right?

It's embarrassing to exchange something, and later find out it was your own error.

My smaller version tender puked after a few years. I have the Battery Tender Plus now and like it. Got it online for the same cost that HD sells the small one for.