Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

6th Gear Light and Tmax

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayrk
Just curious. What activates the sixth gear light? Is it a switch on the shift drum like the neutral light?

With the 5 speeds a primary gear change doesn't affect the speedometer calibration. Engine rpm and the counting of the fourth gear teeth determine speedometer reading.

Did some research and it seems that rpm and speed information to the ECM turns on the sixth gear light. Now I see what your concern is.

It seems that 6th gear MIN TPS is the setting that you would change. I would think that the higher rpm would require a higher MIN TPS setting.
Correct on the rpm/speed thing telling the ecm to light it up. When this ratio is changed the ecm won't recognize it to activate the light. I've zero'd in on the solution , I think. Final drive ratio from what I gather is a function of this light activation. Setting is 0 if you have a 5 speed and no light. Setting 87 for most and Dyna's use 84. It would seem that #84 used in final drive ratio will bring things back to normal after the sprocket change in the primary. It would also seem that final drive settings have no effect on the accuracy of the speedo settings. For the time being , that's what the plan is .
Ron

Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
correct on the rpm/speed thing telling the ecm to light it up. When this ratio is changed the ecm won't recognize it to activate the light. I've zero'd in on the solution , i think. Final drive ratio from what i gather is a function of this light activation. Setting is 0 if you have a 5 speed and no light. Setting 87 for most and dyna's use 84. It would seem that #84 used in final drive ratio will bring things back to normal after the sprocket change in the primary. It would also seem that final drive settings have no effect on the accuracy of the speedo settings. For the time being , that's what the plan is .
Ron

Last edited by ajayrk; 11-20-2009 at 08:52 AM.