Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Starter problems.

I am having problems starting my 95 FLHT.
When it's cold the starter always works.
Even when it's cold, there is a funny sound like the gear is disengaging and then reengaging.
I'll push the starter button and the engine will turn over, but about every revolution the gear will release and then immediatley reengage.
After a couple of revolutions the bike will start.

When the bike is hot, it's a crapshoot as to whether it will turn over or not.

I took the primary cover off to inspect the condition of the flywheel gear and and the starter gear.
They were both in good condition.
I removed the starter. I checked the solenoid and cleaned up the contacts.
I took the starter to NAPA and had it tested. They said it was fine, so I reinstalled it.
I cleaned all of the cables and placed a star washer on the battery to starter ground point.
With the primary cover off I pressed the starter button and watched the starter gear extend and engage the gear on the clutch.
It turned about a revolution and the starter gear retracted and imediately extended again. This happens about every revolution of the engine and the starter motor is turning the entire time.
I ran a jumper wire from the battery to starter and engaged it that way. The results were the same.
I installed a new soleniod cover with a starter button on it. The results were the same.
I put the primary cover back on an filled it with oil and went for a ride to get it hot.
After about 30 mille I was headed down a long hill, I pulled over to the shoulder and slowed down. I hit the kill switch and coasted, I turned the switch back on and hit the starter button, it started.
I did this a few times and it started each time.
When I got home I pulled into the garage and shut it down.
I turned the switch back on and hit the starter button. Nothing, not even a click.
I pressed the button on the solenoid cover and it started. It is still disengaging and reingaging the starter gear, but it starts.

Does anyone have any idea of what is going on?

Old 10-31-2009, 02:02 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a weak starter relay. pick up a new one, and take the switched power from the ign switch off the relay and run that post directly to the battery positive. this will eliminate any resistance of power to the starter solenoid, and give full battery voltage to the starter/solenoid. harley has had issues with the way they wired these for years.