Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fed up with EFI.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fed up with EFI.

I've been fed up with EFI for a while now. First off within 4 mths of picking up my 06 NT the ECU crapped out. it was replace by the dealer. 9mths later the fuel pump went. the dealer picked that up too. Now that my bike is not under warranty and paid off i have a feeling that this damn computer crap for EFI will FAIL yet again. When it goes again (not if) i am ripping all that junk out and going to a carb. Is anybody else having or have had problems with their EFI?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spyder ever since i got my bike set up properly from Dave at JD's cycleworks in PA i have not had one problem
i am from Jersey also
dont get rid of the efi just get it to some one who knows what they are doing with it the dealers dont know efi as good as they think they do

Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain

Anything electrical has always been a "roll-of-the-dice".

Old 10-26-2009, 08:51 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer

I just hate the idea of electrical gremlins haunting me and if everything is fine needing to go to somebody to adjust the EFI. granted a carbed bike should be dynoed also but their wont be the BS problems EFI can have

Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Vinny133
Cruiser

No problem with my '06 Standard. My buddy has a stock '06 NT with EFI and he also has never had a problem. Sorry about your frustration. That kind of stuff drives me nuts too.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you! EFI systems do present their own set of possible issues if/when they fail. Once again we can blame Magneti-Marelli and Delphi. Delphi makes the ECM and the other EFI components are (still) manufactured under contract for HD by Magneti-Marelli. Fortunately I've never had a problem with my EFI system through its phases n' stages of mods.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:23 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind, due to CARB, EPA etc, our government forced EFI on all of us, good or bad (more good then bad). Personally, I picked up a book or two and learned about EFI back in the 80s, so I think its the best thing sense silicone. With a few basic tools and a good understanding of EFI, I am no more intimidated by it then possibly when our Grandfathers (and Grandmothers-to be politically correct) had to figure out how carberators and ignition worked for the first time.

Last edited by geargrinder; 11-02-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer

i understand EFI and i like it. but there is just to much that can go wrong. The more you have the more crap that can break and go wrong

Old 11-02-2009, 11:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

I felt that way when cars first went FI.
Once a problem is encountered that is always in the back of Ur mind...

Had mine take 2 craps this summer, 1st ended up being a loose bat cable..and the 2nd the only thing I can figure is moisture, happened when we got the 1st cold snap, a little fuel conditioner and hasn't missed since. made it home limping both times..

Did U get her new,? and have been trouble free for 2-3 yrs now? or used and not owned her long.?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer a carb myself, it is too bad you are forced to get EFI when you buy a new bike.

Quick Reply: Fed up with EFI.