Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fed up with EFI.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 AM
SpyderTB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought both my bikes new my sporty and my NT. My 2006 NT was the last yr for a Carb. So in my service man. i was going back and forth from the ignition wiring diagram for EFI to Carb. and with enough research i could wire up a harness for the switch to a carb. Harley's carbed twin cams use the MAP sensor and the Crank position sensor to make it run better.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

My EFI and I have an understanding. I don't f**k with it and it doesn't f**k with me. Our agreement has worked well for 35k miles.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:57 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer

35k miles is good but one day it will strand you and your SOL.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:43 AM
car5car
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will take you couple hours to learn everything about fuel injection. It is pretty easy and computer is doing diagnosis for you! It takes about 5 min to check all sensors and about 20 min to check computer. Get a manual and read. You just need to know how to use multimeter. Dealer will rip you off and make you hate your bike or FI in this case.
Good luck!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 AM
SpyderTB
Tourer

i do understand FI. i have read books and manuals. i just don't like having more things that could leave me on the side of the road.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SpyderTB
i do understand FI. i have read books and manuals. i just don't like having more things that could leave me on the side of the road.
Well you can say that about your new car, truck even an airplane.

I don't imagine that you are old enough to have lived the days when nothing was EFI/FI? The days of having a generator, battery, coil, points condenser, carb have long since past. I'm hear to tell you they past for a reason. Your stuck on the side of a raining road with a dead battery, and the condenser is keeping your engine from firing and the more you push the damn thing the more your points are burning and pitting up and it still won't start your hating life too....

The object with EFI and FI is to learn it well enough that "if" that day comes that its going to strand you, your trouble shooting skills can either minimize the issue or you just call for a tow and get off the side of the road.

I have an '06, and have just upgraded to o2's and tuned with TTS Master tune. I'm hear to tell you I'm loving it.

IMHO the worst EFI FI system beats a carb 24x7.

Rant off. just my $0.02.

As for your bike, I would look at the wiring harness for water intrusion someplace or wire damage from something. A lot of other bikes have many times the miles then yours with no issues. Some thing maybe causing all of your grief and even if you did go to a carb it may not be over if its wiring!

Last edited by Ram; 11-07-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 AM
SpyderTB
Tourer

very true i'm not old. but everything that we have on the Family farm has points etc. i just bought my first FI truck being a 09 chevy. Before that i had and still do have a 93 12V cummins dodge. my first car was a 72 Firebird. Let alone all the dump trucks, tractors, backhoes and combine. So yeah i do have a very good understanding of everything but FI.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 AM
SpyderTB
Tourer

Here is from on top of the Silo looking into the back field with the OLD combine

Here is looking down to the OLD dump truck and the OLD John deere

Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with RAM and the others like that.
Just got to gradually learn to live with this FI stuff.
Been here awhile on autos. I got a 1980 Oldsmobile cutless surpreme awhile back, 30 years ago. a California car. One day a, "Check Engine" light on the dash. My adventore started. Dealers hadn't ever hardly heard of this and no Indi shop had. On my own.

I got a Dixie Chopper with FI now. ain't going away. Learn it, lower the tension.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yup know the frustration first hand.After being stranded a couple of times,no way to do road fix,converted to carb.Happy ever since,no more being stranded.Oh! Knock on wood (just in case)

Quick Reply: Fed up with EFI.