Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Shovelhead Bob....Little help here or anybody.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 01:48 AM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead Bob....Little help here or anybody.

Long story here but will make it as short as I can. Bought a FLSTCI '06 at one dealership and I decided that all service would be done at another that had a better reputation than the one I bought it from. Rode it for 500 miles and decided to have SE II slip ons, aircleaner and told him it was stummbling when I first started first thing in the day. Turned out it had the 8 degree injectors in it. They changed those out (27709-06A) installed the 1450 stage I EFI kit (29773-02B) and the slip ons (80447-03) said with this setup I needed a cartridge (34392-06) this is supposedly the race download. I popped on decel and their solution was to do the 1550 download which they said that would void the warrantee which I decided not to do. Then read on here and decided on the SERT which this dealership wouldn't do since they have no Dyno. I then took it back to the dealership I bought it from since they had the dyno and would install the SERT. It was done and still had some popping on decel but not as bad and very random. My question about the cartridge, does the SERT overwrite the cartridge and is there any known problems with this situation? Really don't know anything about this cartridge. Is it just plugged in and just like a download? Also, now I am wondering if there might be an exhaust or intake leak causing the problem. Am going to the delership that installed the pipes to check for that and then take it back to the delership that did the SERT to see if they can tune it better if no problems are found with the exhaust or intake. I know I spun a web that is complicated. After I get it running good I will probably do most maintenance if not all myself. I just need help getting this thing tuned properly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Dan B
Cruiser
Default RE: Shovelhead Bob....Little help here or anybody.

A new download/programming of the ECM (like a SERT calibration or from a cartridge) owerwrites the previous one.

/Dan

Old 07-04-2006, 10:06 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The SERT calabrations are still EPA/Street legal. Depending on the bike and conditions, you'll get occassional popping.

You can adjust this yourself. Try adding 1 to 2 units to the front VE tables in the 0 and 20 map until you can get a good dyno tune on it.

ORIGINAL: FLSTCI nut

Long story here but will make it as short as I can. Bought a FLSTCI '06 at one dealership and I decided that all service would be done at another that had a better reputation than the one I bought it from. Rode it for 500 miles and decided to have SE II slip ons, aircleaner and told him it was stummbling when I first started first thing in the day. Turned out it had the 8 degree injectors in it. They changed those out (27709-06A) installed the 1450 stage I EFI kit (29773-02B) and the slip ons (80447-03) said with this setup I needed a cartridge (34392-06) this is supposedly the race download. I popped on decel and their solution was to do the 1550 download which they said that would void the warrantee which I decided not to do. Then read on here and decided on the SERT which this dealership wouldn't do since they have no Dyno. I then took it back to the dealership I bought it from since they had the dyno and would install the SERT. It was done and still had some popping on decel but not as bad and very random. My question about the cartridge, does the SERT overwrite the cartridge and is there any known problems with this situation? Really don't know anything about this cartridge. Is it just plugged in and just like a download? Also, now I am wondering if there might be an exhaust or intake leak causing the problem. Am going to the delership that installed the pipes to check for that and then take it back to the delership that did the SERT to see if they can tune it better if no problems are found with the exhaust or intake. I know I spun a web that is complicated. After I get it running good I will probably do most maintenance if not all myself. I just need help getting this thing tuned properly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Find a tuner that knows what they are doing! Most dealers use the canned maps and tweak very little. They also tune on the rich side or should I say they try to get more power by dumping fuel. My 05 Ultra has no popping on deceleration. Smooth and responsive through all the gears. While I'm no expert I did stand next to the dyno while mine was tuned. What I was told was that one thing the tuner was looking for was that smooth no popping on deceleration.

My 88 has a flat 14 A/F, pulls 80/75 torque/HP. I've got 21,000 miles on it with the last 11K SERT'd. Runs great regardless of weight, heat or altitude.

I do have a closed loop system with an OX2 sensor. But that was added after the initial tune.

The SERT flaches the ECM. MMy guess is the cartridge your talking about is the dealers flashing the ECM with a canned MOCO map.

FIND a qualified tuner!!!!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member

Found what I believe to be an exhaust leak at the front pipe. At what I am going to call the crossover. Brown soot forming where the black support/crossover is tied into the pipes. From what I have read that could cause the popping. I have an appt. on 7/13 to get it fixed at the dealer that installed the pipes. I hope this does it. Anybody know of a good tuner in the Indianapolis area?

Old 07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

The crossover pipe gaskets are a weak link in the exhaust. Mine leaked a little from day one, but sealed up after riding 1000 miles or so. I think the heat and carbon deposits eventually sealed the gaskets. I couldn't take the bike back to the dealer because I installed the mufflers myself. If I were you, I would take the bike to the dealer installing the mufflers and complain. If you do the work yourself, make sure you get an inch-pound torque wrench and torque the screws to the recommended setting (they are just snug). You could try a re-torque before changing the gaskets and see if that does the trick, or just ride the **** out of it and see if they seal up like mine did.
My bike still pops on occasion, but only when backing off the throttle on HARD acceleration.

SE stage 1
SE II slip-ons
25* injectors
Race download

Old 07-04-2006, 08:47 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks GEO. What kind of bike are you riding? I started with the Race download and it popped alot. Now with the SERT it only pops on occasion and random. Did yours pop when the exhaust leaked and after it sealed did the popping go away? Wondering if that was my problem all along?

Old 07-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: FLSTCI nut

Thanks GEO. What kind of bike are you riding? I started with the Race download and it popped alot. Now with the SERT it only pops on occasion and random. Did yours pop when the exhaust leaked and after it sealed did the popping go away? Wondering if that was my problem all along?
Bike is an FLSTCI. It popped when decelerating until the exhaust sealed up. Now I get an angry gurgle out of the pipes on decel and an occasional pop when backing off after hard acceleration. I'm wondering if time has done more for you than the SERT?

Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member

What year Heritage Classic do you have? I found another exhaust leak on the same front cylinder last night at the slip on joint. The split was exposed and some soot there also. The dyno (done by another dealer that didn't install the pipes) was probably a waste of time and money because of the leak. Will not tell them about the leak when I go to have them tweak it again following the exhaust fix. If the popping goes away following the fix I may not have to have it tweaked. Thanks for your knowledge.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

My bike is an '06 FLSTCI and your welcome!