Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander or SE Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Bad Disposition
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander or SE Race Tuner

A while back, I had minor head work done, installed a power commander, Bassani Headers with Rhinhart mufflers, 10:5:1 pistons and SE 258 cams.

As a result of not getting the tq and HP I wanted, I had more work done to the heads, switched to Thunderheaders, installed 10:5:1 CP pistons. and went to Woods T5-6 cams. I kept the Power commander. The stats went up to 97 Hp and 112 tq.

My question is:

If I remove the Power Commander and install a SE race Tuner, I'll add a big sucker as well, what are the odds of improving my numbers by using the Race Tuner? can some one give me an idea about what the numbers may turn out to be?

Also what cam should I use to step up the HP and TQ if the Race Tuner is installed? (What are the anticipated numbers with a different cam?)

I'm under the impression Race Tuners are better than Power Commanders ?????

Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way for the true comparison is only change the one item.
I'm sure there are lots of opinions though and thats just mine.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 AM
genedjr
Road Captain

I don't think one is better over another. People have had good results with PC3/V, SERT, TTS, ThunderMax, etc.

What are your end goals? How much power do you want and how much money do you have? Who is your tuner and does the tuner have a good rep for getting power?

...gene

Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can remove a PC, it is a add on.

You cannot remove a SERT, it is a device to connect to the ECM. Connect it, download the new program you want, then you unhook it. Everything stays all stock. The program inside the ECM is changed to what you want.

I like and use the TTS Mastertune. Kind of a better SERT. In fact I think these guys will upgrade your SERT for a little.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to check these out:

https://www.hdforums.com.au/Default....238&view=topic

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0911_...une/index.html

Last edited by ColdCase; 10-22-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:58 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Disposition
A while back, I had minor head work done, installed a power commander, Bassani Headers with Rhinhart mufflers, 10:5:1 pistons and SE 258 cams.

As a result of not getting the tq and HP I wanted, I had more work done to the heads, switched to Thunderheaders, installed 10:5:1 CP pistons. and went to Woods T5-6 cams. I kept the Power commander. The stats went up to 97 Hp and 112 tq.

My question is:

If I remove the Power Commander and install a SE race Tuner, I'll add a big sucker as well, what are the odds of improving my numbers by using the Race Tuner? can some one give me an idea about what the numbers may turn out to be?

Also what cam should I use to step up the HP and TQ if the Race Tuner is installed? (What are the anticipated numbers with a different cam?)

I'm under the impression Race Tuners are better than Power Commanders ?????
When you start running higher compression like you are the PC starts to limit you, assuming you have the PCIII. The PCIII is limited in timing adjustment depending on which base map has been flashed into the ECM from the dealer. If your looking for more tuning ability then I'd go with the TTS over the present SEST. In the hands of a competent tuner they can do things that the PCIII could only dream of.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM
relxn88
Advanced

The POWER COMMANDER mainly does 2 things - allows air fuel ratio changes and also advance adjustments. The other products, that allow internal software changes of the ecm, can do many more adjustments than the PC. Let's say you want a 13.0 afr at 100% throttle from 2000rpms to 6000rpms, and both the SERT and PC do that for you, than that portion of the tuning process would be the same. As for advance, the PC will probably serve your purpose, unless you have a really radical engine. That being said, if you have somebody around that really knows how to work the SERT (and others) you won't go wrong with the SERT(AND OTHERS). If you don't have a SERT tuner around, face it, you spend 99.9% of your time going less than 100% throttle. Even if (and I'm not saying this would happen) at 100% throttle you got 1HP or 1LB of torque less with the PC, I really don't think you would miss it. This is just my 2cent opinion.