Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Have SERT, thinking PC-V now

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:35 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
What does that do? Haven't heard of that upgrade. Is it more "idiot' friendly?
Its an auto tune, or VTune from TTS point of view, that does a very good job, close if not better than a pro dyno tune.

Along with the usual race tuner stuff, the TTS has a software package that determines your VEs and then generates a corresponding MAP for you. You don't need to understand anything about tuning. You do a couple 30 minute data runs, run the software, and load the map, and you are done.

If you want to fiddle, all the tuning stuff is there, most riders don't need to go that far.

You need to have stock O2 sensors.

BTW I've read here of several ditching a SERT, SEST, or PCV for the the TTS, none going backwards.

Last edited by ColdCase; 10-20-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks coldcase and all who replied. I spent several hours reading up on the TTS and the upgrade to my SERT. Seeing how I've been running my bike for over a year on a canned map, with adjusted CLB's and a tweaking of the decel enleanment and the bike is fine for my needs, this upgrade looks to be the ticket. And should improve upon what I already have.

I notice I have to "qualify" my SERT before I can upgrade it, but I don't see a problem since I bought my SERT just a few months before the TTS came out and I thnk it's the last version (01L, if memory serves me) they released before they discontinued it and went to their new SEST.

One question, my laptop is running windows xp but doesn't have the correct serial port to plug my SERT into, so I have to drag my pc into the garage to use it. TTS sells a USB cable kit, but I'm assuming the only cable I need is the one from the SERT to the laptop. Is there an adapter I can buy that will allow me to convert the serial port to a USB, or do I need to buy their kit?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 AM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are adapters for USB to 9pin DIN. As long as TTS is not doing anything interesting with the pinouts it should work, but I would check.
...gene

Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by genedjr
There are adapters for USB to 9pin DIN. As long as TTS is not doing anything interesting with the pinouts it should work, but I would check.
...gene
Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to drop another $80 on cables if I can pick up an adapter for what I have.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2009, 10:00 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rule of thumb is that windoze XP and laptops are finicky about the USB/serial adapter. A benkin brand may work. The one TTS sells is guaranteed to work and is a very good one (Benkin I think). It is just a standard serial to USB adapter, but certain models do not work well with a PC laptop. If you have an adapter laying around the house you could get lucky. Otherwise get the one TTS recommends.