Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIIIusb on 06 Models

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PCIIIusb on 06 Models

Okay.

I went out and did what the guy recommended, and it was much better but still wasn't fully corrected. If you notice in the picture above, the screen shows that 1 bar = 2% change. Well, when I plugged in my power commander to my PC, it said that 1 bar equals a 5% change. And the low range actually goes from 0 to 2000 RPM, not 1666 RPM as he stated to me in the email (see pic above). The example the guy sent me was for a Kawasaki, not an HD (go figure [sm=loser.gif]).

Anyway, I had to fully adjust mine to rich to get it to respond favorable. So, mine is now maxed out at 25% in the low range. Bike only hesitated once in a bunch of tries, rather than every time. Anyway, my solution is to bump all my map numbers up by 25% in the low RPM, up to and including 2000 RPM (except the true zeros). Then bring my power commander back to the center set of light on the rich/lean indicator (low range back to 0%). This way I can adjust even more and get lean spot out of the map.

Bike ran much stronger at lower RPM too!

I believe that PC keeps these things running a bit lean to help promote their dyno's. So it is easy to squeeze out a few more Horses out at the dyno tune center near you. If everyone's bike ran 12.5:1 ration out of the box by adding the PCIII, then they wouldn't sell a lot of dyno time! That's my $.02 !

Anyway - here is the information pulled from my PCIII when I lookled under "view" and "power commander information" when my PC was connected:

Map Version: 108
Born On: Monday, February 20, 2006
Firmware Version: 2.1.1
Mode: Basic
Button Values:
Fuel Change Per Bar: 5%
Low (0 RPM - 2000 RPM): 25%,
Mid (2001 RPM - 4000 RPM): 0%,
High (4001 RPM - 6000 RPM): 0%

Module Information
Module: 0
Serial Number: 060201007508
Firmware Version: 2.1.1
Firmware Type: Harley
Channel 0 Type: Fuel
Channel 1 Type: Fuel
Channel 2 Type: Ignition
Channel 3 Type: Ignition

here is the map before I adjusted the fuel below 2000 RPM:

Here it is after I added the 25% to each RPM under 2000:

I'll keep everyone posted again! I am going to increase the modded map by another 10% and try the bike again. This would be a total of 35% over original map (25% + 10%)!!!!

Denis

Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

At a total of 35% increase , I was able to eliminate the hesitation when taking off from a stop.

Again, the bike runs stronger at lower RPM now, but I am sure that it could do a bunch better if I have it dynoed.

So to sum it all up. I increased the lower range by 35% and eliminated the hesitation. I think this is a fix, but not the ideal fix. A dyno run with an air fuel mixture reading will let it be fine tuned. But until then, this worked for me!

Denis

Old 08-23-2006, 12:26 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

Folks,

As I had stated earlier, I too had this issue, and have cured the problem. other than adjusting the map (band-aid)

I talked with R&R Cycles in Manchester ( http://www.rrcycles.biz/ ) and they were awesome to point me in the right direction.

Here is what I found out. The PCIII needs to be calibrated to YOUR throttle position sensor. Plug in a 9V battery to the PCIII, while it is still on your bike. Connect your laptop or computer up to the PCIII also. Turn the ignition switch, but do not start the bike.

What is happening is that the clsoed position of the throttle is not reading exactly 0% on your bike with the software. When I connected my bike to the laptop, my throttle position, when closed, read 5%. So, the bike was at 0% throttle position (actual), but the PCIII thought it was at 5%.

In the laptop software, there is a menu under "power commander tools". Choose the option that says calibrate throttle position sensor. Calibrate the closed throttle positon. On the CD supplied with the PCIII, there is a video on the CD that explains the steps to perform this operation.

I corrected my problem, and it went away. I am now happy with my results.

Post your responses after you try this and let me know if it helps.

Oh, BTW, R&R could have told me that I needed my bike dynoed, then charge me a load of $ to fix the issue themselves. But, being the honest people they are, they told me how to fix it over the phone.

I, from now on, will bring my bike to them for any horsepower upgrades. Can't say enough how happy I was with them.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Ned69
Advanced

ORIGINAL: denispetit

So, the bike was at 0% throttle position (actual), but the PCIII thought it was at 5%.

In the laptop software, there is a menu under "power commander tools". Choose the option that says calibrate throttle position sensor. Calibrate the closed throttle positon. On the CD supplied with the PCIII, there is a video on the CD that explains the steps to perform this operation.

I corrected my problem, and it went away. I am now happy with my results.
Can this change be reversed (undone) if it makes the condition worse? When I select PC Tools, it has two options: "Set Throttle Position" and "Reset Button Values". I think you were referring to Set Throttle Position??

Old 08-23-2006, 07:10 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

an this change be reversed (undone) if it makes the condition worse? When I select PC Tools, it has two options: "Set Throttle Position" and "Reset Button Values". I think you were referring to Set Throttle Position??
"Set Throttle Position" is correct. Just write down the values shown on the screen when you choose this option. A screen will come up with three boxes - "closed" value, "current" value, and "open" value.

Write down the numbers from the closed value, (very left-hand box on the "set throttle position" screen) and replace it to that if it doesn't work.

Again, I noticed before i reset my values that something was off because my throttle position on the main screen said 5% and the throttle was fully closed. You could be above or below zero. (look at the screen pictures above in my previous posts, it was the green "0" in the upper right corner that changed to 5% when I turn on my bike)

Take a look at the link attached:
http://www.powercommander.com/Qarbon/Set%20Throttle.zip