Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT data mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 11:13 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT data mode

This may be a stupid question but was wondering if the custom map that the dealership installs during the dynotune can be pulled off with the SERT program data mode? Having a hard time believing I am actually going to get out of the dealership with the custom map. Should have asked this in the initial question. The program looks like it is possible.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:33 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SERT data mode

ORIGINAL: FLSTCI nut

This may be a stupid question but was wondering if the custom map that the dealership installs during the dynotune can be pulled off with the SERT program data mode? Having a hard time believing I am actually going to get out of the dealership with the custom map. Should have asked this in the initial question. The program looks like it is possible.
It's not a stupid question at all. Data mode is mostly useful for setting the timing. You can look for knock sensor activity and adjust the timing accordingly. The problem with data mode is there is no way to know exactly what your true AFR is. Without knowing the true AFR, you can't accurately set the VE tables. The entire idea of a map is basically a mathematical formula. The VE tables represent the volume of the cylinders (and it changes at different rpms)... the AFR tables represent the desired air fuel ratio. The ECM uses both figures to determine how much fuel needs to be injected into the engine at any given time. Data mode takes readings from sensors and records them, but there is no constant in the formula. You can set your AFR tables to any figure you want, but if the VE settings are off, then your AFR will be off too. It's sort of like me telling you to go mix up some gas and oil at a 20:1 ratio, but if I don't tell you the volume of the containers, you will never get it exactly right.

The real advantage of a dyno tune is that the tuner has access to an exhaust sniffer that tells him exactly what the true AFR is. He would set the AFR tables to say, 13.9 in all cells, then sniff the exhaust through the entire RPM range. The readings will be off, so the tuner adjusts the VE tables until the established AFR matches the readings on the sniffer. At that point, the VE are set correctly and then any adjustments made to the AFR tables will be true.

Now, this doesn't mean you can't tune your bike with data mode. You can. You just use the data provided, your own ears and knowledge of how the engine should run. You can get pretty close, really close if you're good... but a good tuner with an AFR sniffer and a dyno can get it perfect. I spent a lot of time tuning my own bike and I feel confident that it's about as good as anyone can get it without a dyno. I think a good tuner might be able to squeeze out a couple more HP, but the bike runs strong enough for me as it is. You won't get it absolutely perfect using data mode, but if you take your time, you can get close.