Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

home tuning???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 AM
kuxika
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home tuning???

Can I do my own remapping? What hardware and software do I need and where can I get'em?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple answer is yes, using TTS Mastertuner.

TTS Mastertune comes with a program CD which you will load onto your pc, update over the internet. You determine which of the connectors to your pc (either Comm port or USB) before ordering so you have proper connection cables to your pc for the interface to the bike.

It allows you to connect a laptop pc though the TTS interface to the orignal equipment on your bike. Enables you to tune your ECM with TTS software applications. You take your current factory program copy to your laptop. Then from a selection of new starter MAPs you chose (from a PDF file) that is best suited for your engine and mod's. You will by the instructions perform pre-settings for recording the proper VE values. Upload it to your stock ECM, then begin VE recording several road tests. With laptop connected to the bikes serial ECM port, and securely strapped down or in a bag or trunk. After each road test you down load that MAP with recorded VE values. Another application allows you to combine with the first upload, and then re-load the updated MAP to your ECM. This will be done several times to fill VE data for best running MAP. When your happy with the final VE's and or have blended the final cells to your choosing, you restore first settings and then reload the final MAP back into your ECM.

At this point you go ride and enjoy.
Simple.

Has plenty of instructions and tons or resouces on various sites like this to help you over come most any obsitcals you may feel unsure about.

You should however be fairly proficient with use of computer and have full admin rights to your laptop, especially with XP or Vista.

Hope this has not scared you away from this, its really easier to do when you have read all the instructions and understand them. Keep in mine this is also a thumb nail of what basiclly happens. Details are in the instructions.

Last edited by Ram; 09-26-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:23 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah Mastertune/TTS has some nifty tools to help you get a good tune for O2 sensor equipped bikes. I haven't heard of anyone go to something else once they have one. It is available on line and some shops.

There are other software that allows you to develop and load maps, Like SERT or SSEST or DDT. I think TTS has the better tool set for both the casual and pro user if you have O2 sensors, however.

There is no one perfect system, but with a on board data logger so you didn't have to duct-tape a laptop to the bike, the TTS would be close to perfect.

TTS will get you close, but if you want a perfect tune, and want to be sure it is perfect, you will have to invest in the tools dyno shops use ($$$$ for lab quality sniffers and the brake dyno, many also use TTS for programing the ECU).

Last edited by ColdCase; 09-26-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
...TTS will get you close, but if you want a perfect tune, and want to be sure it is perfect, you will have to invest in the tools dyno shops use ($$$$ for lab quality sniffers and the brake dyno, many also use TTS for programing the ECU).
Sometimes called the law of diminishing returns...spend $100 to get it 95% correct then another $1000 to get the remaining 10%.

I use the TTS and agree that it’s about the best out there for those that spend little time at wide open throttle positions.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I tuned mine at home with a DFO and a screwdriver...No software needed.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

Many people have had great results with TTS Master Tune.

But - what are you trying to accomplish? What is your end goal?

For me, with an 03 RK, I wanted more adjustability without the need for dyno run after dyno run. So I chose to replace my ECM with a Thundermax w/autotune.

While I am still learning - only had it in a short time - I like the idea of being able to move the bike toward my vision of an end state without heading to the syno after every modification.
...gene

Old 09-27-2009, 03:10 AM
kuxika
Cruiser

Originally Posted by genedjr
Many people have had great results with TTS Master Tune.

But - what are you trying to accomplish? What is your end goal?

For me, with an 03 RK, I wanted more adjustability without the need for dyno run after dyno run. So I chose to replace my ECM with a Thundermax w/autotune.

While I am still learning - only had it in a short time - I like the idea of being able to move the bike toward my vision of an end state without heading to the syno after every modification.
...gene
Well I just got an 09 VROD the stealer threw in a set of pipes (V&H comp series) they also threw in the air filter and was supposed to throw in the stage 1 download. Well they did the first 2 but not the stage 1 "it didn't need the download" was what they told me.

The bike runs fine as far as I know. But that only goes so far. I'm a new HD owner. But from what I gather here the stage 1 would have a big benefit. How much benefit? I just think it can run cooler my pipes turned purplish blue at the header and brown in the mids I know this is normal for the most part but how purple should it be I do not know. BTW there is no dyno available here in Guam.

Here is a link to video where you can see how my pipes look after a ride...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEhJ_OivfYQ

Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those pipes look like its running a bit lean m8.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need a dyno to tune with the TTS, there is no hardware to install either. You need to be comfortable around a laptop. There have been a few individuals that have problems with their hardware/ecu replacements, pulled them and have been happy with the Mastertune TTS. You mention Guam is wet, and the added hardware some systems use can be susceptible to moisture.