Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:20 PM
overmdd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT question

I just had my bike tuned and I got the map they programed ECU with I was looking at it and the tech left fields in closed loop part at 13.9 AFR. Is this ok to do? the sert manual says to change AFR table back to 14.6 to enable closed loop. Any down side to leaving in open loop? Can I make any changes to the afr table and change the afr?

2007 FLHX
103 w/flat top pistons
Andrews 54 HG gear drive cam
50mm SE throttle body
dealer stage one heads
SERT

Old 09-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off read the instruction that came with the SERT.
I have one but use the TTS now. almost the same.
The only part of the MAP that needs to be in closed loop is the area you could call, "Cruising Along".
For me this is about 1750 thru maybe 3500RPM and up thru about 65 on the load or vacuum.
The rest is open loop, for me. The numbers there are set by your tunner or yourself if you are knowledgable. These are for richer running. And what you paid for. But really ask the tuner.

Is this what you are talking about?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
overmdd
2nd Gear

Thank you for the cruising part I agree with that. But I didn't get an anwser to my questions in the post.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 AM
eddfive
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13.9 is fine in certain areas. 14.6 is too lean in certain areas. No downside to open loop, how many bikes built before 2007 are in open loop, too many to count. Open loop bikes run just as well as closed loop bikes.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM
overmdd
2nd Gear

Good point eddfive, I'm still wanting anwser to: Can I make any changes to the afr table and change the afr? Or do I have to change VE tables to get afr change? Trying to learn some tips from you experts out there.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes
you can change the AFR table to other reasonable numbers. "IF" the VE tables are correct for your exact engine. Please read the rest, won't hurt.

The only time the ECM is in closed loop (usint the O2 sensors to control) is when the numbers in the AFR are 14.6 or RED.

You can make changes to anything you want on the AFR table page but the only time the ECM is in control there is in closed loop. Running on the O2 sensors.

Any other number than 14.6 or red colored, the ECM "Calculates" using ALL the other varitables the most important being the VE tables, Temp, bias load ,etc,etc.

Unless you know the actally VE you are only guessing with the SERT. Your tuner used a O2 sensor during the tune. So he or she found out. Tuner puts those numbers in and using that, the ECM figures the AFR of the numbers put in on the VE tables.

What the tuner does is adjust the VE to get 14.6 with the O2 sensor at a set operating condition, All across the board. Then you know the VE the engine is capable of, all across the board.
Also the "Bias" comes into play because you can slightly move the Closed Loop point with this. Richer or leaner.

If, at a place on the AFR page other than where it is 14.6, say 13.4 or something, the ECM can figure, "calculate", to get that value. It goes "open loop" but it knows what it has to do to get the value from the VE tables.

So its what I said, you better have a understanding of what you are doing if you want to change numbers around.

Any one thing changed on one page might affect other pages. The whole idea is to get the data, to get what you need for good running.

I have the SERT but a few months ago I went to the TTS which uses the onboard O2 sensors to figure the VE of EACH cilender.

My tip
What I said at the beginning, read the instructions, think about this and read again till you understand at least a little. It will get easier and easier. It takes way more time to try to explain than do it. Like anything else gotta try and learn this. Really not that hard.

You are doing right, asking questions.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 09-25-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

Since you paid to have it tuned I would be careful about undoing what your tuner did without at least talking to him first. Without knowing were the 13.9 is on your table its hard to say if its OK but it seems reasonalable so unless you have a specific problem in a certain area I would be leary of making changes for the sake of what you think it should be.

As started before if a cell in the AFR table is set to 13.9 it is running open loop when the ECM is looking at that cell.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
overmdd
2nd Gear

Thanks, I have been reading and reading and have learned alot. Only thing is bike is a little rich rite now and would like to lean it out a little. Just got done with changing cams and going from 10.5-1 to 9.8-1 because tuner couldn't get rid of knocking problem under load. He tried for a year. I did cams and head gasket change and cleaned .040 of carbon off heads and pistons myself. Flashed ECM with map on CD and bike had never run so good. Had it tuned after this (new tuner) and he did a much better job no knocking at all. With the canned map had 95HP and 106 ft. lbs. After tune had 98 HP and 101 ft. lbs. Would like to get back some of the ft. lbs. I lost. Am looking real hard at the TTS.