Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2010 touring exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 PM
choppers4life1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 touring exhaust

wondering if anyone knows.......i have a 2010 SG...i like the D&D Boss full system....D&D sells a 2010boss exhaust for the street glide with the newly placed and sized o2 sensors......but from what i have read, the (power commander v)pcv and auto tune will need the older version 18mm o2 sensors......so D&D says if you are going to use the pcv...buy the 09 boss pipe with the older (pre-2010) bung location and size. Does anyone think that this will adversely affect the ecu or that there will be problems?

Am i better off simply getting a slip-on for now......problem is the heat coming off the pipes is crazy HOT! with the cat in the head pipe.

I heard that zippers suggestes the older style set-up also....untill their product works with the 12mm o2 sensors.....

Anyone who knows please shed some light....

Old 09-17-2009, 07:04 PM
user 9375875
Banned

If you use the old sensors, you will get a code that the O2 heaters are not working. Also, the 2010 calibratons are set-up to work with the new O2 sensor placement and close mounted CAT, and there may be issues moving them.

What would probably work is to use the new sensors, but make an adaptor to connect them as the PCV needs.

Or, you could use a tuner like the SEST or TTS which works with the OEM sensors no problem.

--Gary

Old 09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lose the Cat

Originally Posted by Hogflash
If you use the old sensors, you will get a code that the O2 heaters are not working. Also, the 2010 calibratons are set-up to work with the new O2 sensor placement and close mounted CAT, and there may be issues moving them.

What would probably work is to use the new sensors, but make an adaptor to connect them as the PCV needs.

Or, you could use a tuner like the SEST or TTS which works with the OEM sensors no problem.

--Gary
I would assume if you removed the catalytic Converter material from the head pipe it would also set a trouble code on a 2010 Tri Glide? Hypotheticallyif someone wanted to remove the Cat material could he get some 12mm bungs and weld them in close to the heads in the exhaust to get some heat on them.

If the person does not know the operating temps of the o2 sensors could he take an IR Temperature gun and measure the heat where the sensors are now on a 2010 Tri Glide and weld the bungs in one of the pipes close to the head as the 09 have them.

I don't know which cylinder pipe has the 09 sensors! Does it make a difference which cylinder pipe you welded the bungs into. I believe they are near the front cylinder on the 09's maybe you could tell me. I would assume if you took the IR gun and found the sweet spot on the pipe "same temperature as where the o2 sensors are now in the head pipe" and welded in the bungs the ECM would read them just as where they are located now.

My Tri is burning me up and I can't do any mods to cool it down. Straight up if I move the 12mm o2's up in the head pipe do you think the ECM will read them the same. I know the o2 wires will reach for the rear cylinder pipe but don't know if they will be long enough without soldering a splice to reach the front cylinder. I got to get that cat stuffing out of there and get my AFR richened up.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2010 o2 sensors are a 4 wire, self-heated design, that generate heat from the bikes electrical system.... that is why they are further downstream than the 09 touring

The 09 and earlier 2 wire system is heated from the exhaust system, that is why they are near the exhaust port.

Each cylinder has it's own o2 sensor, the rear cylinder is on the top pipe, the front cylinder is on the bottom pipe....

This is merely a suggesstion, but to maintain the integrity of the system, without having to manipulate wiring, modify headpipes, do sample temperature tests to id a "Sweet Spot", why don't you guys do some homework on the SEPST or TTS Master tune....

It is a VERY SIMPLE, extremely flexible tuning TOOL....

I am not knocking the PC V, but as it stands, it is not compatible for the 2010 Touring models.... Different pin-out...

Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default o2 school

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Bob
The 2010 o2 sensors are a 4 wire, self-heated design, that generate heat from the bikes electrical system.... that is why they are further downstream than the 09 touring

The 09 and earlier 2 wire system is heated from the exhaust system, that is why they are near the exhaust port.

Each cylinder has it's own o2 sensor, the rear cylinder is on the top pipe, the front cylinder is on the bottom pipe....

This is merely a suggesstion, but to maintain the integrity of the system, without having to manipulate wiring, modify headpipes, do sample temperature tests to id a "Sweet Spot", why don't you guys do some homework on the SEPST or TTS Master tune....

It is a VERY SIMPLE, extremely flexible tuning TOOL....

I am not knocking the PC V, but as it stands, it is not compatible for the 2010 Touring models.... Different pin-out...
Thanks for the technical explination on how the o2 sensors work and putting up with an old school who is trying to catch up. With that excellent explination of how the 4 wire 12mm works I will just leave them where they are. Self Heated so they don't need to be moved. I will start my SEPST school just as soon as I can snag the program.

You guys are what make this forum worth its salt, thanks again!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:02 AM
DHart
Tourer

On my 2010 Road Glide I decided to go with SE Big Bore kit, D&D 2-into-1 full exhaust for 2010, using the new 12mm O2 sensors, and use a SEST and dyno tuning. Hoping for the best.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM
TBirdEd76
Cruiser

I didn't realize the 10s came with a cat, is it just the touring bikes or all HD families of bikes? I am also assuming this is new from 09, right? Whats next, flex fuel, liquid cooled, airbags?

Old 10-05-2009, 01:18 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TBirdEd76
I didn't realize the 10s came with a cat, is it just the touring bikes or all HD families of bikes? I am also assuming this is new from 09, right? Whats next, flex fuel, liquid cooled, airbags?
All touring bikes for 2010 come with the cat. In 09 only the California and CVO's had the cat. Liquid cooled would be an improvement over the toaster oven 2010 Triglide I have.