Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Won't start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 AM
policebike
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start when hot

My O6 RK police bike isn't starting when it's been left in the heat. Here's the history: 1) Rode it about 50 miles to work. It sat in the sun in the parking lot for about 4 hours and it wouldn't start. It was relatively low on fuel, and it was hot out. The dealer I bought it from picked up the bike & took it to their shop. They put more gas in it and it started up.
2) About 2 weeks ago wife and I took it out for dinner. Rode it maybe 10 miles, stopped for a 30-45 min dinner and it wouldn't start. I don't recall if the sun was shinning on it but this was obviously pretty late in the day (6:30-7:00). Gas was about a quarter tank. My brother-in-law brought gas and we filled it, but still wouldn't start. Took off the air cleaner and poured it right in the carb, and it would start, but quickly die as it burned the gas we put in the carb. Left it at the restaurant that night. Next morning, started right up. After this I went online to see if I could get any ideas from Harley forums and such. Found a site that offered experts opinions and paid $15 for advice from a 30 year Harley mechanic. He wrote that I probably had cracks in the fuel line in the gas tank and when the tank is full and cracks covered, it would start, but when gas was low, they would suck air. Seemed plausible, so my plan for the time being was to keep the tank relatively full.
Last Friday rode 40-60 miles to an offsite meeting. Right before I got to the destination I stopped and filled up. Bike sat in the sun 5-6 hours and again wouldn't start. Had to leave it overnight again. Next morning, it again started right up.
So, the problem is that it's not getting fuel and it appears that the common denominator at this point is that the bike is hot/warm either from the sun and/or just driving it. (Black color) (I think episode 2 was just from engine heat as I don't recall it being super warm out and if there was sun on it, it was not a super hot sun that late in the day)
Oddly, I can turn the bike off for a few minutes and not have a problem. (to get gas, stop at a store, etc)
Any thoughts?

Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
scatpac1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have a friend who had a similar gremlin, what it turned out to be was, the fuel pump housing in the tank, it was cracked and bypassing fuel pressure, but when the tank was full the whole thing was submerged, in anycase he had the fuel pump and pick up changed and problems went away, you might want to do a search as i think this was a recall for a few bikes around 06, 07. hope this helps..