Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Question concerning batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009 | 12:29 PM
1993mooglide
|
Intermediate
Default Question concerning batteries

Here is my problem. Got a 93 softail wouldn't start. Bought a new interstate battery put in bike and everything is good. Took the bike out twice (each time around 40 miles). Went to start the next day and click-no power. Now it's only been around 2 weeks since I got the new battery. So I figure hell, must be an issue with regulator or alternator/stator because my battery is not charging. I did continuity tests and everything checks good on stator plug. I put the battery on tender overnight, needed to start bike to do voltage tests on stator. Next day I eventually get it to start but my fu--ing meter dies on me! Cut the bike off, put it back on charger overnight, get new mulitimeter and now the damn bike won't start. Tender shows a full charge. Tried to jump start it off my riding lawnmower, so close but no go. Can the battery be shot so soon that it won't take a charge. Second battery this year ($200 in the hole). Now I just want to get the bike started so I don't have to rent a trailer to get it to my mechanic-any ideas. Could I possibly push start the bike in 2nd gear. Also, what will drain a battery quicker-bad alternator or bad regulator?

Last edited by 1993mooglide; 09-03-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2009 | 01:49 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Had a car once kept killing batteries. Or at least draining. Could not find the problem. Went into the shed where the car was kept once at night and could see my feet real good.
The underhood light had a bad mercury switch. Stayed on all the time.

Point is, maybe something is on and won't go off.

Or charge the battery up and see if disconnected it will hole a charge.

I also took a battery to a shop and they put a load check on it.