Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Coil Problem? Crane Cam Single-Fire Ignition Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 PM
hdsoftailrider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Problem? Crane Cam Single-Fire Ignition Module

Our Softail has a Crane Cam single-fire ignition module and we have started having problems with back-firing through the exhaust and going dead. We have even tried "hot-wiring" from the battery straigt to the coil (at the advice of a Crame Cam ignition module "expert") to test to see if we by-passed the wiring harnees if it would still happen - it did. Bike rides fine until it gets hot and then just shuts down.
Any ideas?

Posted this on the Softail Forum but thought we would try it here too. After reading through forums, seems this is a problem frequently encountered. REALLY frustrating. We were headed out for a ride to a local dealership event (supporting our wounded troops) and the bike was "feeling fine, sounding fine, running smooth". We back-fired and then about 5 seconds later, it was if the switch had been turned off. Had to have the thing trailered home. I've been a HD rider since the age of 19 (about 20 years) and can normally track down and fix whatever problem I come up against. I hate not being able to trust my ride! Not a wiring man - so I'm kinda stuck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3962/5334A35E96B841EAB6D9A7E36F27AD35.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-11-2006, 11:24 AM
tripl8
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Coil Problem? Crane Cam Single-Fire Ignition Module

Go get an " inexpensive" RechTec ignition module and try it...then you,ll know..i suspect a defective Crane module.