Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fat bob deccel pop

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:19 PM
skyrafter
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fat bob deccel pop

Searched the forum and didn't find an answer for this. I have an '09 Fat Bob. I put on a Vance & Hines big radius 2-1 and a SE heavy breather. The local Harley shop "installed" a SE super tuner and dyno'd the bike. When I got the bike back it now constantly pops and backfires on all types of deccels. I checked the exhaust gaskets and saw no sign of leakage but replaced them anyway with no change. I called the shop and they said they did their best to try to "tune out" the popping but it's the fault of the pipe. I find this hard to believe and can't wait to pick up the software and start doing my own tuning. Anybody out there have this combination of pipe, air cleaner and super tuner????? What are your results?????

Old 08-28-2009, 06:29 PM
adown
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read through the TTS sticky. It's the same(or similar) as the SE race tuner. They are adding 5-10% more fuel under the 20kPa column between 1750 and 3500 RPM. There is more to it than that, but you will find it if you read far enough.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:36 PM
mynzbtr1
Cruiser

With that set up, and if it is dyno'd right, there should be no popping at all. Take it back and have them look at it again. I have short shots on my bike and a pcv, which are known for a bit of popping and I dont have any at all. With the tuner it should be totally gone.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:04 PM
DaveDHD
2nd Gear

Hi, How many miles are on your bike? Some shops don't like to do a full tune on a bike with under 1k miles on it - they'll just do a rough tune without lots of high rpm runs to prevent improper break in and then get the bike back after 1k to do the full tune. Whatever the case may be, that should be a condition that can be fixed with that tuner. It's a pretty simple deal to add fuel to the proper level from idle to about 3k rpm's at 0 throttle. That right there would probably fix it.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Tuceaux
Cruiser

Did the same mods to my bike and it runs great, no popping or backfiring.
Your shop is obviously not tuning the bike properly.
08 fatbob

Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
fairlydangerous1
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sucks when you take your bike to a dealer that only works on Harleys and get that answer. Of course, there are some indy's that have made those kind of statements too.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine pops too. Sounds like this," BumbabbumbababumbababumPOPbumbabababumPOP." It,s not to bad and does,nt bug me. Asked about it and the shop says it,s normal to pop on deacceleration.I have stage 1 and VnH PRO PIPES.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
skyrafter
5th Gear

I called the saleman who sold me the bike. He, in turn, talked to the service manager. I stopped in and let the SM ride the bike. He said it absolutely should not pop like it does and they will fix it. We'll see.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 AM
pugs
Tourer

I had similar problem when I got my pipes (python dual staggerds with SERT). Asked on this forum and the resounding answer was not all people/shops know how to tune and that that is very operator dependent. I researched and went to a different shop, got it dyno'd and everything was running really lean. They fixed it and a rarely get a pop now.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
Mine pops too. Sounds like this," BumbabbumbababumbababumPOPbumbabababumPOP." It,s not to bad and does,nt bug me. Asked about it and the shop says it,s normal to pop on deacceleration.I have stage 1 and VnH PRO PIPES.

I think you should take it to Calgay Harley Davidson. They really have their act together there. If there's something wrong they'll fix it, or will give you a proper explanation about what is wrong. I was impressed with their level of service when I took my Road Glide in when it had the front end noise.

Quick Reply: Fat bob deccel pop