Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fat bob deccel pop

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:50 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I think you should take it to Calgay Harley Davidson. They really have their act together there. If there's something wrong they'll fix it, or will give you a proper explanation about what is wrong. I was impressed with their level of service when I took my Road Glide in when it had the front end noise.

oh, and I forgot to mention, they have a policy to not nickle and dime their customers. If you bring it in and it's not a mechanical or tuning problem they will release it to you for no charge. Some other dealers charge the flat rate $100 bucks an hour shop rate regardless.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Please post your results

Very interested to hear how this turns out for you. I have similar setup except with T-Max and have been trying to get completey rid of the pop for 5K miles. Did the same as you, replaced exhaust gaskets, no change in performance or decel pop. Have it down now (finally) to only when I accelerate hard and let off the throttle fast between shifts. Entering the freeway etc. pops every shift, otherwise, hardly ever. So, please let us know when your dealer is done with it if they actauly got rid of the pop all together.

Thanks,
t

Old 09-03-2009, 02:50 PM
kngobra
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skidder
Sounds like this," BumbabbumbababumbababumPOPbumbabababumPOP."

Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if your tuner has a way to reduce the fuel flow at "zero throddle position" and between1250 -2500 RPM do this. Maybe 5%. or so.

If you think about it when you hear this popping you are slowing down for some reason maybe downshifting to slow down. Engine is reved up a little.

Throddle is closed, engine is probably under 2000 RPM. Pop-Pop-Pop. Too much fuel there. Cut some

Old 09-04-2009, 02:08 AM
09tail'
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robottom, mine does the same, only pops on hard acceleration between shifts...every now and then it may pop during downshifting. I'm still under 1K, so I'm going to have that addressed at that time.
Does anyone know of a tuner they would recommend around either Jacksonville or Orlando?
If that's an inappropriate question, then ignore it...

Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 AM
Gunfighter13
Cruiser

Once the VE tables and spark are set, adjust the de-cell table (higher numbers) and it should stop the popping. I downshift and have no popping with 2" strait through/open type baffles.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 AM
srigas
Intermediate

I have had the same problem Fatboy w/Big Radius 2:1. I can't tune out the big pop I get when I release the throttle. It only occurs between 2500 and 2700. Other than that the bike runs great.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:03 AM
aussie bob
Novice

i've got the same problem.i had 1.5 inch rush slip ons and sreaming eagle race filter with s.e tuner. it was ok no popping but then i put 2 inch baffles in,now i've got popping on decel.got to go back to the shop for remap.i hear thunder max is a better computer and the only one that actually uses the 02 sensors on the exhaust

Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie bob
i've got the same problem.i had 1.5 inch rush slip ons and sreaming eagle race filter with s.e tuner. it was ok no popping but then i put 2 inch baffles in,now i've got popping on decel.got to go back to the shop for remap.i hear thunder max is a better computer and the only one that actually uses the 02 sensors on the exhaust
Thundermax is a old computer design.... but it works OK. The algorithms, software rules, and MAPs as well as the skill of the tuner make a big difference. There are several tuning devices that use or retain the O2 sensors, and there are also many, mostly simple fuelers, that disable the sensors.

For example, I'm far from an expert tuner, but I was able to easily tune out all popping and surging with a TTS... I happen to have rush 2 inch baffles that popped a bit with the stock tune and XiEDs.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 PM
skyrafter
5th Gear
Thumbs up Fat Bob All Fixed

I called the salesman who sold me the bike who, in turn, talked to the service manager. The Service manager took it for a ride and agreed it popped too much. Finally got the bike into the shop and when I picked it up it had already been test driven again by the sales manager. Everything is good now. I really have to try hard to get a backfire out of it and it still hauls ***. I'm happy! BTW, I also bought the sert software while I was there and I'm studying it hard right now.

Quick Reply: Fat bob deccel pop