Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

8 year old electrical problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009 | 11:28 AM
ohioflhs
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Default 8 year old electrical problem solved

I have seen many posts about dead bateries and several other gremlins. I think I have solved mine and may be of some help to some of you. It all started when I got my used bike about 8 years ago. From the time I picked it up the right turn signal operated about half of the time. The other day while riding, I honked the horn at a young boy who was watching and waving. The horn sounded sick. A few miles later neither turn signal was working. Soon I could not roll on full throttle without stalling. Got her home just as the battery died and killed the bike completely. Turns out the problem is the little connection at the front of the case where the stator wires come out of the case. The connector was oily, with sand in there and with one pin about one half missing. The voltage regulator is about $100. I simply replacd the pins with pins that I stripped from a trailer wiring connector. Just soldered them in place of the old ones. It seems that the turn signal module worked fine when the battery was charging but the right turn signal wouldn't work if the connector was not making contact. Horn sounds sick with a low battery and a little lower stopped the left turn signal from working. I hope this helps some of you find your intermittent problems.

Old 08-29-2009 | 08:44 AM
gunnert
Road Captain

On the 99 Twin Cam this was a problem where the oil would run out of the primary and into the connector shorting out the connections. HD had "recall" to fix the problem which was an extention cable that raised the connector up so oil could not get to it. As with almost ALL Hd recalls you have to get lucky to have someone tell you about it. Oh, I know this because my stator shorted out while the bike was still under warranty...You gotta love a company (HD) that does everything it can to keep its overhead low....and screw the customer at every turn....hahahaha

Old 08-31-2009 | 05:32 AM
ohioflhs
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-31-2009 | 12:09 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Default Thanks for sharing...

This may provide may people with the solution they've been looking for!

Bart

Old 09-01-2009 | 10:42 AM
ohioflhs
|
Road Warrior

Thats what I thought too. I spent 8 years chasing a problem that turned out to be the symptom of a low voltage situation.