Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Advice on 06 Deluxe SERT

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006 | 05:52 PM
fiugzel
|
Cruiser
Default Advice on 06 Deluxe SERT

Alright everyone. This is for my 2006 FLSTNI with 25 deg injectors. I got my SERT ver E, the SE air stage I kit, and I just bought the Samson Gig Guns 3 cannons.

Sunday I'm gonna bolt on the pipes and the stage I kit. Which SERT map should I start with? I was thinking I would load this map:

Calibration # 52: 2006 Softail and Dyna Models w/ Shotgun / Shorty Dual Exhaust Calibration
Configuration: 1450 SE A/C & Mufflers
File Name: 141NP002-A0.MT6
Components:
• 25deg Injectors P/N 27709-06
• SE Air Cleaner and Breather Kit P/N 29440-99C
• SE II Slip-Fit Mufflers P/N 80448-03 or 80258-99A

Is this a good start? The only other one that seems to fit is this one:

Calibration # 55: 2006 Touring Exhaust
Configuration: 1450 SE A/C & Mufflers
File Name: 141NR004-A0.MT6
Components:
• 25deg Injectors P/N 27709-06
• SE Air Cleaner and Breather Kit P/N 29440-99C
• SE Performance Touring Mufflers P/N 65115-98B

Am I on the right track here? The Samson pipes come with baffles, so would Cal #55 be a better fit?

Old 06-09-2006 | 01:06 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Advice on 06 Deluxe SERT

Go with 53.....

You will get a better fuel charge, not too fat on the top end and will have great driveability until you either figure out where you need it tuned or can get it tuned......

Old 06-10-2006 | 12:08 AM
fiugzel
|
Cruiser

Okay, I hear what you're saying. But if I load up the 1550 map initially, then will I still have to change the air/fuel ratio, or will this compensate for that? I quoted some of another post below where I read about that.

I have another question too, Bob. How do I know which plug to use under the seat for the SERT? I pulled it off today and I couldn't even find two plugs that were identical. Here's a pic of what I saw. Can you guide me?

ORIGINAL: Thorns (from this thread)

snip... Now what most people do with a SERT calibration file is take the same file you just installed, and bring it up on the tuner mode again, and in the advance mode change every A/F 14.5 table to 14.1, and cut the decel enrichment tables by 50%, then save the file with a new name like adding an "A" to the end of the file. You can then reprogram your ECM with this file calibration, and your bike should run a little richer, and shouldn't pop too bad when on decel.

Old 06-10-2006 | 12:34 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: fiugzel

Okay, I hear what you're saying. But if I load up the 1550 map initially, then will I still have to change the air/fuel ratio, or will this compensate for that? I quoted some of another post below where I read about that.

I have another question too, Bob. How do I know which plug to use under the seat for the SERT? I pulled it off today and I couldn't even find two plugs that were identical. Here's a pic of what I saw. Can you guide me?

ORIGINAL: Thorns (from this thread)

snip... Now what most people do with a SERT calibration file is take the same file you just installed, and bring it up on the tuner mode again, and in the advance mode change every A/F 14.5 table to 14.1, and cut the decel enrichment tables by 50%, then save the file with a new name like adding an "A" to the end of the file. You can then reprogram your ECM with this file calibration, and your bike should run a little richer, and shouldn't pop too bad when on decel.
Just load the 1550 Map.... It is already built, and will only need minor tweaking on the 100% for the most part on a non-Dyno validated map......

You will notice a HUGE difference in the performance and responsiveness with this map.....

The plug that you need to tap into is the GREY 4 plug (3 Prong) with the Rubber cap tethered to it..... It is the DL (Diagnostic Link).....

Old 06-10-2006 | 12:55 AM
fiugzel
|
Cruiser

cool... thanks again, Bob. You're one of a few here that seem to understand the SERT.

Old 06-11-2006 | 12:17 AM
fiugzel
|
Cruiser

Alright, I got the pipes and SE stage 1 kit on and uploaded #53 to the ECM.

The bike does run nice. A lot more responsive than stock, and has a lot of *****.

I rode around the block and back into the garage. Then pulled the plugs and they didn't look all that dark. Quite grey actually, but not ashy or anything. Then I rode home (did the work at my buddy's garage) and ran the bike through it's paces. First 17 miles on a state highway that has traffic lights and tops out at about 50 mph. Then a quick 5 miles on the interstate at 65 mph. The only thing I noticed was when I was slowing down for a red light, I downshifted to 3rd and just after I released the clutch a loud bang came from the pipes. Scared the sheet outta me, but it's all good. Then when I got home I pulled the plugs again and they were the same - grey.

So am I still running a bit lean?

If I am, how should I go about richening up the mixture a little. Which table in the SERT and what variables should I bump?

Old 06-11-2006 | 12:25 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

You cannot use plugs as a gauge for EFI Calibration.....

Contrary to what a lot of people think, that is not the case anymore......

With all of the additives, advanced electronics and the induction systems today, the plugs are not a valid gauge......

I have tuned bikes that had an AFR of 13.5 and the plugs were snow white after 1k... no rhyme or reason, just that the fuel nowadays leaves less residue......

You are running lean if the bike pops and cracks on decel.....

At night, you will shoot a blue flame out of the pipes if you are lean......

Your bike should sound the same rolling on as well as rolling off the throttle......

Old 06-13-2006 | 10:31 PM
fiugzel
|
Cruiser

Okay.. I yesterday opened up the #53 map (141NQ003-A0.MT6) file and grabbed every cell on the AFR page. Then I bumped em 2 units decrement to increase the fuel flow a little. Saved it and uploaded to the 'luxe.

This morning, I rode the bike to work and there were no backfires there or home. A few times on decel when I'd downshift and release the clutch I'd get a gurgly sound, but no real pops or cracks. I have good throttle response at all RPMs. No misses and the cold startup was flawless. I think it's good. The Samson Big Guns 3 pipes are great, also. They sound great but they're not too loud, to me anyway.

Thanks for all your help, Bob.

Old 06-14-2006 | 06:28 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

The "gurgly sound" is a good thing.

Old 06-15-2006 | 01:14 PM
jp728
Stage I

first off, thanks for all the information in this thread!

i'm going to be installing a SE stage 1 kit and SE 16 gauge double barrel exhaust on my '06 Deluxe this weekend. i checked this morning and i have the 8 degree injectors so am i correct in assuming i should use map #24 (141NQ102-A0)?

i would have thought there would be a map on the CD for this pipe/stage 1 combination since it's all SE, instead of just the SE slip-fits ...

thanks again for the information,
-jp

Quick Reply: Advice on 06 Deluxe SERT