Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

what happens when you jumpstart your bike from your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 PM
mkramer
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what happens when you jumpstart your bike from your car?

Yes....I did do it....I jumpstarted my bike from my car......and it worked....for a few seconds.....once I revved the throttle a couple of times, something shut it down completely.

Now, I can turn the ignition on and the lights come on fine. When I turn the switch near the throttle to "run" a fuse starts ticking and the lights dim for a second then come back on.......then a few seconds later dim....and come back on.

I can feel the fuse that's ticking (it's the left most fuse if you were sitting on the bike). I've replaced it. Still happens. The harley guys recommended that I replace the circuit breaker. I think this is the one below the seat/battery. I replaced it.......still just ticks.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is (other than my own stupidity). Please please please provide any assistance you can....I really do appreciate it.

The most frustrating part is that I live in Vermont where it has rained every day for the last 5 weeks and this all occurred the day before sunshine finally broke through the sky. Now I hear bikes going by my house everyday and can't join them.

The bike is a 1997 Fatboy.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Default RE: what happens when you jumpstart your bike from your car?

If the car wasn't running that shouldn't be your problem. You may have an underlying electrical problem.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lpye

If the car wasn't running that shouldn't be your problem.
If you jump from a car leave the cars' engine off!

Old 06-07-2006, 03:04 AM
Pathfinder
Cruiser

So just what damage occurs if you jump start a bike from a car with the engine running?

Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Mkramer, first off a fuse shouldnt "tick" a fuse will "pop" and that will be the end of the fuses life. A circuit breaker will "click" meaning the contact is broken till it cools down, makes contact again then "clicks" again which indicates you have a short somewhere (a direct electrical path to ground) Since everything is fine till you hit the "run" switch on the handlebars I would begin my search from that point down to your starter relay etc....................BG

Old 06-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Jarhead
6th Gear

Chances are you blew your stator....I'd say chances are about 99.9999999% . sorry.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:12 PM
mkramer
Stage II

The car was running. What does that mean?

I have a hard time believing that it's the stator. Wouldn't that just keep the battery from charging? It shouldn't keep the bike from turning over. I don't even get a crank. Hitting the start button does nothing....not a single noise/peep.

No wires appear burnt/melted. We didn't smell anything and we didn't see any smoke. The bike was only running for a few seconds before it shut down.

I'm actually beginning to think that this had nothing to do with the car charging. I think something else may be causing this issue. My buddy was revving the throttle when it cut out. I think BigGeorge may be right.

There must be something wrong with the ignition circuit for it not to even attempt to start up. I think it probably is just a short in the circuit and it's probably in the handlebar area.
Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:15 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Was the car still hooked up and running when he was revving the motorcycle.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:31 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

A car puts out more amps...

Old 06-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Stkman
Advanced

I don't think you burned up anything, thats why there are relays in the system to protect the electrical system. I would find which relay is clicking and replace it. The relays are rated for certin amps to protect the electrical system. I have jumped my bike mean of times with the truck with the engine running and no problems.

Quick Reply: what happens when you jumpstart your bike from your car?