Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Does this make Sense?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Runs Better at High Elevation Question

I have an ’06 FXST with a SERT. I’ve tuned the ECM to reduce decel pop by increasing the 0% and 2% throttle positions in the VE tables for various pipes with ok results. However, we just got back from Sturgis and I noticed every time we went through mountains like the Big Horn Mountains or mountains in Yellowstone, my bike ran great with virtually no decel popping, where my buddy’s carb bike backfired like crazy coming off the Big Horn mountains. While coming off some mountains one day, it dawned on me that at theses high elevations, my bike is getting less air thus running richer and decel pop is totally gone and the bike ran smoother at slow parking lot speeds while in the Black Hills, West Yellowstone etc., at elevations of 5000 ft. So it seems to reason at sea level, my bike is still running a little lean even though the plugs etc., look fine. So I’m thinking of bumping up the VE tables again for 0% and 2% and may even try bumping up the 5, 7 and 10% throttle settings.

Does this make sense to you?
Jack

Last edited by priceamp; 08-21-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: No Replies. Trying a different title.