Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'o6 Heritage Classic backfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:37 AM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'o6 Heritage Classic backfire

I have an '06 Heritage Classic w/ Screaming Eagle Pro II slip ons, Screaming Eagle air cleaner kit and the Stage 1 download. I am experiencing backfiring at deceleration. Have 800 miles on in. Any thoughts on this? The dealer said it is normal with these kind of pipes. Has anybody else experienced this? It isn't bad or even offensive just don't want to damage my new baby.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: 'o6 Heritage Classic backfire

I have the Screamin Eagle Pro Performance Slash downs on my RK which would be like your Pro II's. I will get an occaisonal pop on decel or when shifting but not that often. I have a SERT which was used to tune my bike. I decided I would rather spend a little extra money and get the SERT rather then waste money on the download and still end up buying a SERT. Everything I read said the downloads make the bikes run too lean.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:06 AM
hammer4
Cruiser

Your dealer is full of BS...Yeah it,s normal if ya don't know how to fix it......Does your bike have the 8 degree injectors??? anyway it shouldn't do that.....I had to get a PC III from Fule Moto, He loaded a can map works great 3900 mi. I'm looking for a tuner in the
Dallas area. Oh, my 06 Springer has the same stage 1 as yours.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:15 AM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for your responses. What is SERT and how much should it cost? Does the dealer install this? I am new to this. Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FLSTCI nut

Thanks for your responses. What is SERT and how much should it cost? Does the dealer install this? I am new to this. Any and all help is appreciated.
THe SERT is the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner, it comes with all kinds of maps on the CD but you can also make any modification to the maps that you want. It is only used to program the ECM on the bike (the computer) and then is removed. Not true with a download which can't have anything done to it. It is also married to your bike and can't be used on any other bikes. Nothing stays attached to the bike like a PCIII does. They are expensive $459.00 list but you can get them for around $370 from online sellers like Zanotti's. I bought mine the day I bought my bike and received 10% off everything along with my exhaust and the Screamin Eagle Stage 1 A/C and had it all put on before I drove the bike out of the dealers. They had to also install the 25° injectors on mine after I had it for about 3 weeks since I had cold start problems and a bulletin had just come out. If your bike was built after the middle of Feb. you should already have the 25° injectors in it as all big twins came out of the factory with them already installed after that date.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

#1... Make sure that you have the CORRECT ECM Flash.......

More and more I am seeing work coming to our shop from other Dealers, and the incorrect ECM Flash is the culprit......

#2... What you are hearing is called "Lean Pop"...

Only happens on decel, and only out the exhaust......

Makes me think that you have the wrong flash.... You should have the Stage I Race flash, as you have SE Mufflers.....

Old 06-03-2006, 01:48 AM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Bob! I am going in on Wednesday for my 1000 mile service. Talked to the service manager and he said he would make sure the d/l was the correct one. Talked to another friend of a friend today and he recommended a Cobra fi 2000r. Any opinion of that piece of hardware?

Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of it... That Cobra thingy.......

Old 06-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Cobra is like a TFI/DFO, just a band-aid that sits between the Delphi and the injectors. I have the exact same set up as the OP's bike. I had a little lean pop when the bike was new, but after the 1000 mile service, pop was gone. Cause? loose exhaust connections. Once retorqued, the pop went away. Bike runs great with nothing more than stage 1 flash.