Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:07 PM
r0ckie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Commander

I have an '04 E-glide Classic to which I've added V&H basic slip-ons. My question is do I really need a power commander/SE breather kit or is this a marketing ploy? Also, if I do the power commander, I've priced them on the 'net and all but one distributor wants $359.95. MorePowerRacing.com wants $280. Could this be the same unit for so much cheaper?

Thanks loads....

Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander

Slip ons only, you should be ok as long as you don't do the air filter kit. Not optimum performance but it will work.

As for the pricing you have received yes they are both good prices. Big number is list, small one at a discount. Lot's of online retailers have them in the $280-$300 range.

Just beware of ebay deals. Evidently there are some counterfeit knockoffs floating around. (See powercommander.com for details)

Should be ok buying from a reputable dealer.

Primo

Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Road King Ron
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the power commander, H-D setting are real lean, you will gain some power.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 933 Likes on 436 Posts

A PCIII or SERT is a necessity only if you've made changes such that you'd want to alter the ignition timing. For pipes and/or air cleaner only, a DFO or Fuelpak should work just fine at much less cost.

Uncle Peepers

Old 06-02-2006, 09:48 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

The fraud concerns carburetor jet kits, not the power commander, although I suppose that won't be far behind.

Pricing can also vary based upon the application so you need to make sure that you are looking at the correct part number. Your application will be listed on the Dynojet web site.

Some used PC's are not USB and instead use a serial cable. They should be cheaper and I don't know if it makes any difference because I haven't followed the features of each version. I do know that features have improved as time has gone by, so make sure you are getting the latest version (including the software). Many people selling them on ebay don't even understand them...

You will need some computer skills and basic engine skills to set one up, otherwise have a PC dealer with a dyno do it. Even if you do it yourself, when you've won a little poker money, take it to a dealer that knows how to tune PC's and have your bike dyno'd.

The air cleaner is probably the best bang for the buck for horsepower. The slip ons (or set of pipes) are the best bang for the buck for sound... and a little bit of horsepower. This scientific opinion comes from reading between the lines in the magazine ads posing as articles and from the seat of my pants.

I haven't seen dyno results on my '06 yet because I haven't made it to a shop yet, but I'm going to participate when I get it done. I want to understand better what is going on. I hear everyone blaming HD for the "lean set up" but I know that, warranty wise, it would make no sense for them to do this unless they have to. I have a suspicion that what the pipes, air cleaners, and ecm's let us do is circumvent the EPA regulations that HD is complying with, whether it be air quality, noise, or mileage averages. This suspicion is even more prominent now that Harley is getting out of the exhaust pipe business entirely.

Good luck and have fun.

C#

Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to get the most power out of your stock motor, then a full stage 1 set up is the way to go.

Do the slip-ons, do the air cleaner, and then go with the Power Commander. This will bring everything together and you will be running great. Start out with the "canned" map from Dynojet for your setup, and then later on have it tuned on a dyno if you want.

Eastern Performance sells the Power Commanders for $277 with free shipping.

Steve