Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need spark problem help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 PM
wildbillshdsoftail
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need spark problem help please!!!

Hi, I am new to this site,and it looks like a great site. Maybe someone can help me out. I have a custom Harley Davidson Softail with a 1340 Evo motor on it. I am having a problem with the motor not getting spark to the plugs all the time it seems. 1 minute it has spark to the plugs and the bike runs fine and the next minute the bike starts but dies and it looks like there is no spark to the plugs. I was thinking it was the coil,but when the bike does run I can ride it all day with no problem. I took it out yesterday had no problem. But when I tried to start it today. It started then died and I would check it for spark to the plugs, there was no spark then 1 would play around with it a little it would get spark, the bike would start but die again. I spent about a hour playing around with the plugs and wires I finnaly got the bike running again and it seems to run fine for now,but I am baffled while 1 time the bike runs fine and I can ride it around with no problem but other times I am losing power and it wants to die like there is no spark, could this be the condenser and if it is how hard is it to replace it. I know this is kind of long but like I said I am baffled how the bike can run great 1 time and the next time I am having problems. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks. Bill