Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Erratic Idle, anything else I can check?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

OK, well the only good that comes from this is if we actually come back and tell everyone else what happened. This is embarrassing.

The pressure checked out OK, no bubbles in the fuel lines either.

I sent an email to Zippers and they came back with a new map. Trust me, I wasn't making any changes to the one that was in there and it had been working fine for quite a while.

Apparently it was self destructing the idle air control map.... just learning itself into a tizzy, NFI why.

I loaded the new map and ran it for a while, everything seems better but I still don't understand why the last one cratered, and even worse, what's going to happen to this one after a while. I guess I'll have to wait and see, hope I don't need to replace the T-Max itself, especially if it means sitting on my *** for two weeks while the damn thing is in the mail.

I'm posting this for information to others, and see if anyone comes back with a similar experience.

Thanks for all the help and advice,
Tom

Old 08-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know everybody likes what they like.
My 08 FB has woods 7H cam and amoung other things a SE 58 TB.

Thing is it really doesn't want to idle below 1000 RPM and seems to like 1008. Cam overlap at idle I really think but...
Just seems to run along better there.

Maybe you idle is a little low, set at 976.
Just a though.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

However these Tuners or ECM work there is another program inside these things we can't get to, no way.

For instance, when the IAC gets off setpoint (our set) it responds by trying to get back to setpoint. The "how fast" and the "how much" it tries to do this we can't see. And that all depends on "how far" it is off.

This is the Relm of the Manufactures. and what, sorta, you were saying about it tuning itself crazy.

I don't think, if all is well with the machine, these things get too far out of hand.

On a relatively new machine with just a few modifications I suspect something simple. Doesn't mean its easy to find.

Air leak? Exhaust leak? Too rich at idle? Too lean?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Robottom
Road Master

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
I don't think, if all is well with the machine, these things get too far out of hand.

On a relatively new machine with just a few modifications I suspect something simple. Doesn't mean its easy to find.

Air leak? Exhaust leak? Too rich at idle? Too lean?

That's the part that scares me, I ride it and everything seems great, man this thing hauls ***. Everything is fine for quite a while and then ... some really weird **** starts happening.

I'm certainly no expert ....
I tried butane around the intake, no significant change in idle. Too chicken to squirt solvents or even water on a running engine, besides the mess.

I tried plugging the tail pipe and listening, wrapping the exhaust header in white cloth, tried holding a flame near it, no sign of any leaks that I could see or hear.

Fuel adjustment maybe, the plugs sure look good, and with all the money this auto-tune thing costs, you'd think it would take care of the fuel adjustments.

Don't know, but not giving up either... just waiting to see how long it stays put this time around. Sometimes it easier to figure out when things get worse.

t

Old 08-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Hang in there.
If you got a intake leak butane will find it. Will slow down or stop the engine.

I know these self tuners, self tune, I guess. How does it deal with the IAC? Something there I bet if all else seems OK.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Robottom
Road Master

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
Hang in there.
If you got a intake leak butane will find it. Will slow down or stop the engine.

I know these self tuners, self tune, I guess. How does it deal with the IAC? Something there I bet if all else seems OK.
I figured the butane to speed up the idle, water or solvents to slow it down, do I have that crossed, or you?

The T-Max has a whole set of learned fuel curves and a special set of learned IAC adjustments per temperature. Basically IAC plunger position.

IAC is what Zippers is looking at for me. I'm guessing that some other adjustment was causing the IAC to tune itself in one direction or the other but .... why would the idle be erratic?

I forced the adjustment positions on the map and moved IAC farther open (leaner) and farther closed (richer) while idling just to see what would happen. The result was pretty consistent speed up and slow down. Can't remember which direction caused which result, but it sure wasn't erratic, up and down like it was doing without messing with it.

I'm thinking you're probably right, something else is mucked and causing the system to try to tune it out, masking the real problem. But.... fut-da-wuk has got me scratching the ol noggin.

t