Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 Night Train - Brake light not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM
code.mafia
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Night Train - Brake light not working

It is customized and doesn't have any turn signals. The brake light is on a license plate mount mounted on the swingarm. The brake light on this license plate isn't working. The tail light works, it just doesn't get brighter when I apply either brake. I disconnected the wire at the rear brake switch and the wire running to the light has power (used a test light/probe) when disconnected (or when the brake is not applied). When I apply the brakes, I get power at the brake light switch terminal (again, while that wire is disconnected).

The tail/brake light is an LED unit. It has one wire running to it, one wire coming out of it and attached to a mounting bolt.

I haven't had this bike very long and don't know squat about it's wiring.

I plan to get this LED tail light from Mercury Customs:
http://www.mercurycustoms.com/store/...cat=255&page=1

It has brake/run/turn functions. But I want to solve the existing brake light problem before I add something new to the equation.

I have an ohm-meter and test light/probe. Any help will be appreciated.