Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'06 1450cc FI - cough/stall when warming up then OK

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:41 AM
GlideRider2006
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 Street Glide, Stock 88tc V&H slip-ons and SE air cleaner, same problem when she's cold, will couch once on take off, almost stall, than fine. Once in a blue moon a pop or 2 around 2,000 rpm's. I'm going to schedule the injector upgrade and post if it helped.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems that my problem was related to the PCIII.

I have gone back to stock pipes and AC and hooked up the O2 sensors and it idles fine.

Don't know what I'll do now as money is tight!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

**update**

I thought the bike was idling fine, but it may have been that it was so quiet that I couldn't hear the cough as well.

I put the Python 2-1s back on and it started to cough on warm-up.

I had Carpal Tunnel surgery yesterday and mentioned that I wanted to put the SE ac back on, so my brother bolted it up for me.

It sounds like it did before with the cough and stall.

Tells me the PCIII is not the problem and most likely the cold start injector issue with the 8°s.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this to check for a pin hole leak. Switch on ignition, but don't start bike. Wait for fuel pump to stop. Pull the feed line from the tank. Depress the check valve in the hose (caution fuel should spray out) to check for line pressure. Reattach the hose and charge the system with the fuel pump. Now depress the check valve in the tank; fuel should spray out. Reconnect the hose and charge the system again and let it sit for and hour. Remove hose and depress the tank check valve. If it has lost pressure you have a pin hole in the pressure hose inside the tank.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ajayrk
Try this to check for a pin hole leak. Switch on ignition, but don't start bike. Wait for fuel pump to stop. Pull the feed line from the tank. Depress the check valve in the hose (caution fuel should spray out) to check for line pressure. Reattach the hose and charge the system with the fuel pump. Now depress the check valve in the tank; fuel should spray out. Reconnect the hose and charge the system again and let it sit for and hour. Remove hose and depress the tank check valve. If it has lost pressure you have a pin hole in the pressure hose inside the tank.
I did check out the lines...went into the tank the same day I changed out intake seals since I had most of the gas drained out.

Since the coughing goes away after warming up, I really think the injectors are the problem.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:39 PM
hitchpan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 SG does the same thing before it gets warm. I am stock except for SE Slip ons. I thought about getting a PCV and Stage 1 kit, and I thought that would fix it, but I may hold off until I hear what you find out. Keep this going.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Today I installed the 25° injectors that MUD hooked me up with. Big THANK YOU on that!

I didn't get the reflash yet, but I fired it up and had no coughing or backfires.

My bike ran great with the 8° injectors for 8,800 miles and then one day it just didn't like them anymore. Try and get a Stealer to believe you on that one.

I'm going to get the Race Download and then go from there...hopefully I won't need my PCIII anymore as my custom map would need some tweaking now.

If you've checked everything like I did, maybe your injectors are dirty or do you still have the 8°s?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad you finally found a positive outcome. Keep us posted if anything should change.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Went to the dealer and told them what I had done and the download I wanted.

Talked to the service manager and said that instead of trying to get HD to pay, that I just replaced the injectors myself and all I needed was the recalibration.

They charged me less than $20 and bike seems to run fine. I'll get more time on it and decide whether to install the PCIII.

Gatto Cycle did the download while I waited.