Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tuner & map?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM
hd74inca
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuner & map?

ok, here goes. i am an old 74 inch guy but have not ridden in years. will be buying a '09 tri glide and have a question after reading some of this board. what is a "map" and what is a "tuner"?

use to do the work on my 74 but don't think i had any of those two items.

thanks.

david
socal

Old 07-31-2009, 06:26 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ECU reads the current sensor information and looks into the MAP for the corresponding ideal timing and fuel delivery. There are actually several MAPs and offsets involved... and a half dozen sensors like throttle position, manifold pressure, air and head temperature, rpm, O2.

A tuner replaces the MAP stored in the ECU with another one that may be better in terms of performance or drivability or mpg.

Tuners may also contain software tools to optimize the MAP to the specific characteristics of your bike. This include data loggers that record what the ECU is doing for the sensor inputs, which then is used either manually or automatically to refine the current MAP. Keep doing this long enough and the MAP becomes very good.

You can pay a shop to run their tuner and optimize your MAP, or you can buy a consumer grade tuner, for $500 and up, that will get you close. Every mod will have a different ideal MAP variation.

Some add on fuelers, which modify the fuel delivery, are tuned in the same way (but not touching the ECU)

Last edited by ColdCase; 07-31-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by hd74inca
...what is a "map" and what is a "tuner"?
"Tuner" can be either someone that makes modifications to the bike (usual the intake, motor, or exhaust) or a device that modifies (generally speaking) the little computer that, in essence, makes changes to the programing affecting how the motor runs.

"Map" is similar to a regular road map that will tell the driver how to get from where he/she is to someplace else. In this case, the little on-board computer is trying to figure out how to respond to the demands of driver with restrictions made my the environment, lawmakers, and other parameters.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 AM
hd74inca
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmmmmmm. lot has changed since the 74inch days. i guess it all has to do with the EPA guys and the effiency because of the price of fuel.

so with the 74 for more power one with mess with the intake, exhaust, S&S carb and maybe a cam. now looks we can forgo the S&S but must include a map.

anyway the bike will be under warranty so will let the wrench do the work and anyways i'm getting too old to bust my knuckles.

Semper Fi 8th & I. i did my time with 1st, 3rd and 4th MarDiv.

david
socal

Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It changed in the method, not the art. You used to play with jets, adjust a little here and there, bend that tang a little, shave something off there, toy with the advance curve.... now you do the same thing, only you play with numbers in a table... keeps your hands cleaner...