Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New firmware in the Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
user 9375875
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoffe
I'v never used the SERT before, the dealer put in a standard-file when I bought the bike one year ago. I'm using Com Port 4 when I program the ECM. Would I get the ECM info sucessfully if the com port not would work?
I'm using the USB port for other applications and they allways work. The mini pc's cost 400$ here in sweden.
Technical explanation:

If Get ECM Info is working, you have the correct COM port selected, there is no need to change it. The USB interface problem is caused by the USB driver not correctly supporting the RS232 hardware handshaking signals (CTS and RTS), particularly with 64-bit XP or Vista. Sometimes updating the USB driver to the latest version will fix this - and sometimes not.

The RS232 handshaking signals are ONLY used when installing the bootloader and when programming the ECM. This is why DataMaster will work great, and Get ECM Info will work correctly, but programming will fail with the Unable to Install Bootloader error.

Just because the USB interface works with other applications does not mean it will work with TTS for PROGRAMMING!

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your USB adapter. If you still cannot get it to work, then use the TTS USB interface - it is extensively tested with all windows OS versions, and it will work.

--Gary

Last edited by user 9375875; 08-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM
user 9375875
Banned

Originally Posted by vinnieee
I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN TUNING, SERT, OR COMPURTERS

but how about uninstalling Windows XP and reinstalling Windows XP to your laptop basically wiping it clean. Make sure before doing this you save everything you want and make sure you have the software and registration numbers for all of them before doing this. Then after installing windows get the updates from Microsoft, then install the software CD's, then get those updates as well.

Everybody, if anything I said here is wrong, please do post it.

Good luck,
Vinny
You DO NOT need to reinstall the OS to make the SERT software work! This would be a major PITA and probably not fix the issue - unless the USB drivers are corrupted beyond repair (which is unlikely). If you get the correct USB interface and drivers, it should work correctly!

--Gary

Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogflash
Technical explanation:

If Get ECM Info is working, you have the correct COM port selected, there is no need to change it. The USB interface problem is caused by the USB driver not correctly supporting the RS232 hardware handshaking signals (CTS and RTS), particularly with 64-bit XP or Vista. Sometimes updating the USB driver to the latest version will fix this - and sometimes not.

The RS232 handshaking signals are ONLY used when installing the bootloader and when programming the ECM. This is why DataMaster will work great, and Get ECM Info will work correctly, but programming will fail with the Unable to Install Bootloader error.

Just because the USB interface works with other applications does not mean it will work with TTS for PROGRAMMING!

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your USB adapter. If you still cannot get it to work, then use the TTS USB interface - it is extensively tested with all windows OS versions, and it will work.

--Gary

Good point on the drivers issue. I looked on the belkin website and I think you need these:
http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...3&lang=1&mode=

but make SURE.

I also agree with the NO to wiping out the OS. That makes me cringe just thinking about that one and that is NEVER the way to solve an issue...

Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Stoffe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vinnieee
I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN TUNING, SERT, OR COMPURTERS and with that said can you reinstall the bike's original tune back to the bike from the SERT, then reinstall the map you would like to use?

Also, "ColdCase" has some good ideas, but how about uninstalling Windows XP and reinstalling Windows XP to your laptop basically wiping it clean. Make sure before doing this you save everything you want and make sure you have the software and registration numbers for all of them before doing this. Then after installing windows get the updates from Microsoft, then install the software CD's, then get those updates as well.

Everybody, if anything I said here is wrong, please do post it.

Good luck,
Vinny

I have allready tried all that and it does'nt works. I have talked with the store where I byed the SERT from and the guy that should look at it is on vacation.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:16 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you try a com port higher than 4?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Stoffe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hogflash
Technical explanation:

--Gary

When I bought the new Belkin-cable I suppose I got the latest drivers for it. I can try to download it again from the Belkin-website. I think I will try with anoter computer anyway. I got to have it work!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Gviertell
Advanced

I am interested in the outcome of this as I am getting ready to try to update my SERT and MAP also.