Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New firmware in the Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoffe
It did'nt work with the Belkin-cable. With the newest version of the firmware (4.7.7) it's the same message. After 25% there is "Unable to install Bootloader. Quitting!"
After you choose "Program ECM", do you click the button that says "Get ECM Info"? Does that work OK?

I also agree with hogflash. Try another laptop.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Stoffe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogflash
This still sounds like a USB adapter problem. Are you running a 64 bit OS version? If so, the TTS USB adapter interface will work, most others don't. You could also try using a different laptop and see if that works OK. --Gary

I'm not going to buy another adapter when the other one's on the forum told me that the Belkin cable would work and it did'nt. Get ECM Info works just fine. I'm running Windows XP. I can't try a different laptop, all of my friends have stationary computers. Any suggestions? Can it be some problem with the SERT?

Last edited by Stoffe; 08-10-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:03 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

So getting ECU info works, the connection is good at low rates/sizes. You seem to be getting into data corruption trouble with larger file sizes. 99% of the time this is related to the USB adapter, the other 1% related to the laptop, either its drivers or OS or conflicts. It could be the SERT, but not likely. I would suspect the Laptop. Was this laptop working with SERTs before? USB devices like flash drives?

Can you try the usual laptop USB adapter troubleshooting stuff, like selecting another com port, reinstalling the drivers... disable and reinable the port, power down and restart, restore, de-install and re-install the SERT software. Could you have other software on that machine that is conflicting. You may be able to get help from your laptop vendor or support site/forums. Look for USB connection problems.

Go out an buy a $200 mini small screen laptop perhaps.... I hate dealing with windows, so many things could be wrong. I feel for ya buddy.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have read this from the beginning and have a question not absolutly apparent.

Have you used this SERT succesfully with this bike in the past?

Just to be clear.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by ColdCase
So getting ECU info works, the connection is good at low rates/sizes. You seem to be getting into data corruption trouble with larger file sizes. 99% of the time this is related to the USB adapter, the other 1% related to the laptop, either its drivers or OS or conflicts. It could be the SERT, but not likely. I would suspect the Laptop. Was this laptop working with SERTs before? USB devices like flash drives?

Can you try the usual laptop USB adapter troubleshooting stuff, like selecting another com port, reinstalling the drivers... disable and reinable the port, power down and restart, restore, de-install and re-install the SERT software. Could you have other software on that machine that is conflicting. You may be able to get help from your laptop vendor or support site/forums. Look for USB connection problems.

Go out an buy a $200 mini small screen laptop perhaps.... I hate dealing with windows, so many things could be wrong. I feel for ya buddy.
There is a way to change the com port on the usb adapter. I can't quite remember all of the steps but
Right Click on My computer and select Properties
Select Hardware Tab
Click Device Manager Button
Select USB controllers
Find the Belkin one and then right click it and select properties

Somewhere in there should be a place to choose a com port. Perhaps you are using one that is allocated for something else. Remember once you change it to also match it in the race tuner software to match.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:05 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TickTock

Somewhere in there should be a place to choose a com port. Perhaps you are using one that is allocated for something else. Remember once you change it to also match it in the race tuner software to match.
Yeah... you want to make sure the port is above 4 as lower ones are used by the computer. I think you will also get a warning if some other device is using that port, so pick one without a conflict. I think this is the second most common problem behind the USB adapter.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Stoffe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Yeah... you want to make sure the port is above 4 as lower ones are used by the computer. I think you will also get a warning if some other device is using that port, so pick one without a conflict. I think this is the second most common problem behind the USB adapter.
I'v never used the SERT before, the dealer put in a standard-file when I bought the bike one year ago. I'm using Com Port 4 when I program the ECM. Would I get the ECM info sucessfully if the com port not would work?
I'm using the USB port for other applications and they allways work. The mini pc's cost 400$ here in sweden.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

You know this can also be caused by a defective USB cable or laptop socket. If you can try a different cable or socket, do that first. Look for bent pins.

The assigned port number can be different from laptop to laptop, it does not matter as long as there are no internal conflicts.

I'm not a PC expert here, but the theory is that some other application running on your laptop is periodically checking or attempting to use the port assigned to the SERT software (port 4 in your case). Its not suppose to do this but not all applications/drivers are well behaved. I think 1 to 4 are usually reserved for laptop operation like IR modems. I typically use port 7 or so.

So the short "get info" data exchange misses the conflict and get through just fine, but the longer programing exchanges get hit, the data gets corrupted or fails to transfer.

I think you can go to the device manager control panel to see the installed devices double click and change ports. I would try to change the com port SERT is using to somewhere between 5-12. These may be filled with wireless devices, if so you will need to deassign one (using the control pannel) before assigning it to the SERT.

I wonder if your SERT manual or help files has a section on USB troubleshooting, the process may be more clearly described there.

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-11-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 AM
Stoffe
Intermediate

I've tried with two different USB-cables, I'l try to change the COM-port first.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 AM
vinnieee
Cruiser

I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN TUNING, SERT, OR COMPURTERS and with that said can you reinstall the bike's original tune back to the bike from the SERT, then reinstall the map you would like to use?

Also, "ColdCase" has some good ideas, but how about uninstalling Windows XP and reinstalling Windows XP to your laptop basically wiping it clean. Make sure before doing this you save everything you want and make sure you have the software and registration numbers for all of them before doing this. Then after installing windows get the updates from Microsoft, then install the software CD's, then get those updates as well.

Everybody, if anything I said here is wrong, please do post it.

Good luck,
Vinny

Quick Reply: New firmware in the Race Tuner