Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Headlight not working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
ryanbradshaw
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight not working?

This is my first post on here and probably not going to be my last! So, I installed some beach bars on my 00 Fatboy and forgot to switch out some chrome switch covers while I had it apart. Today, I did the swap out and my headlight doesn't work. I tested the headlight by wiring it directly to the battery and it worked fine. I did remove the front turn signals and had problems with the rear blinkers. The local shop my dad goes to figured out I needed some sort of "load limiter" (don't know the official name) and it fixed the blinkers. The headlight worked fine the last time I rode it. I didn't run the wires through the handlebars and they did get a little pinched between the switch housing and the bars, but they aren't broken. Any suggestions?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No turn signals would look like burnout bulbs to the tsm so it wouldn't blink to bring your attention to it. So the "load balancers" make it look like there's bulbs. With the headlight since you changed switch covers I would look at the hi/lo beam switch. '00 I'm not sure but presumably it's blue - lights, white - hi beam and yellow - low beam. The switch is connecting the blue to either white or yellow. Assuming it's the same colors.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:38 PM
ryanbradshaw
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STUPID FUSE!!!!!!! I didn't check it yesterday because the taillights and blinkers still worked....why I don't know. I'm glad my dad checked it before we took the gas tank off to check the connections! Leave it to the Ol' Man to figure it out. LOL I'm a little pissed at myself for not checking it because I missed a Saturday night ride!!! Oh well, live and learn. Of course, on the way out to my dads house I noticed a rattle on the exhaust... a couple mounts that the hose clamps go through broke on heat shield on my Vance & Hines!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I got the same issue also. Put in new drag bars and all of a sudden the hi/low beam lights do not work regardless what position it was in.

Maybe I need to check the fuse. But I think it's odd that the rest of the lights would work, but not the headlights. You would have thought that a broken light fuse would disable all of the lights not just the headlights.

My first thought would be a fuse also, but when I read the schematic in the service manual, all of the lighting is connected to that single fuse. Maybe I overlooked something on the diagram that I didn't catch.