Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tmax midwest tuners

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tmax midwest tuners

Does anyone know of a person near Nebraska who is great at fine tuning Thundermax auto tuners. I do not feel comfortable messing with timing and such and would be willing to pay a person so that I am getting the most out of my bike. I have pinging that seems to be a timing issue at low rpm when I take off from stop light (worse when hot) or when I crank the throttle to pass. I am running good fuel. I also have decel popping. Setting tmax to decel mode did not help greatly.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:18 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

I wouldn't know about tuners in the Midwest, but with auto tune it should do the job by itself, just takes a few miles. You can also get help from Zippers. Talk to them and you can send them your running log for them to look over and maybe make some adjustments. You didn't mention what issues you had. I eventually took my bike to them, (a 2 hour ride) and they were very helpful and patient.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

T-Max will adjust the fuel not the timing. The auto tune feature adjusts and records the fuel required to maintain the AFRs in the map (you selected or that came with it) throughout the ranges of RPM, TPS and temperature .

If you're experiencing pinging you should retard the timing a bit in the RPM ranges where it pings. You can do that based on throttle position, tedious but effective... or quick and dirty, retard based on engine speed. This will give you the quickest results easy one map adjustment but might not be the best results overall.

Pinging can be a really bad thing, not saying for you to get all worried, but should have it looked at or take a shot at adjusting as soon as you can.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for you comments. Made some adjustments to timing versus engine rpm and will try it to see how it works. I cleared out old learning so it could start new. Was this right?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles has the Tmax been on the bike ? Have you ever done the Write "Learned Fuel Offsets" under Map Editing ? The more miles you can ride varying your speeds and throttle positions then do the Write command. Takes about 3 good sessions (500 miles) and it will be dialed in to whatever AFR settings you've chosen. you can look under Tools and use the Auto Tuned Points Analyzer. This will tell you how close you are to being tuned to your settings. It's not an overnight process but it will get better with time and miles.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffer60
Thanks for you comments. Made some adjustments to timing versus engine rpm and will try it to see how it works. I cleared out old learning so it could start new. Was this right?
Yeah no worries on clearing things out, worst can happen is you start over from the base map. You shouldn't need to do that unless you're changing maps or making major changes, but won't hurt.

Once you have the ping taken care of, ride a few times, then save the learned points. First have a look at the tuned points analyzer, will give you a nice brief on how many points have been changed and in which categories. You can print that off to a jpeg for later reference. Then "write learned points" and save the map under a new name. That way you can always go back to the original if something doesn't feel right.

After you've ridden a few more times (after writing the tuned points and saving the map) have a look at it again, should be fewer learned points or at least less of a spread. I wouldn't recommend doing all the time, but ... I've written my learned points probably four or five times now, seems to get tiny bit better every time.

I've got to admit, still have some decel popping and just can't seem to get that out. I'll probably hear about the decel fuel cut feature now, tried that, didn't fix the pop but I did notice some power loss or stall in corners, turned that thing right off and decicded to live with the popping for a while longer.

Good luck..
t

Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffer60
Not really needed since timing is based off a map and is constant. Auto tune is only afrs. Since the afrs have adjusted somewhat, probably leaner, a timing adjustment should have been made with the learned offsets in place. Keep in mind that if you rid the ping now and it returns slightly later after a few miles, go in and drop another degree to compensate for what the auto tune has changed in the afr department. The two are mildly related when it comes to pinging.
Ron