Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Stumpman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT ?

Can you adjust a bike to run any hotter or cooler when you program the SERT on a touring bike? I'm trying to figure if getting a stage 1 and a SERT done to my bike will help out with the running to warm problems or not.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SERT ?

Yes will help because the bikes run lean already which in turn makes the bike run hotter.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, making the mixture richer is a few places and adjusting the timing in other's will make the bike run slightly cooler but don't count on miracles. Even with a SERT and a richer mixture in the right places my bike still runs hot when the temps get over 95 degrees, I bought an oil cooler for a little more breathing room if I get stuck in stop and go traffic. I'm waiting for the cooler right now from the UPS truck and will be installing it tonight. Every little bit counts.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:44 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are still having heat issues with your bike and your dealer can't find the problem you might consider another dealer who has a long term highly expereinced service staff. If your bike is still under warranty you should try another dealer.IMO.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Stumpman
Tourer

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

If you are still having heat issues with your bike and your dealer can't find the problem you might consider another dealer who has a long term highly expereinced service staff. If your bike is still under warranty you should try another dealer.IMO.
The only other dealer in my area is owned by the same people. They are telling me a SERT and stage 1 will fix the running hot problems. They are talking to there tech guy from Harley today and get there response to it. They are saying the 06 is set up different then the 05 as far as the over heat control feature. I'm not sure what's going on now. If the SERT will cure this problem I will try that I guess.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Yoman
Tourer

I will tell you what the dealer told me just last week. If you have ANY mods done to the exhaust or intake system of an 06 with fuel injection, you need some kind of fuel management. The 06's are running right on the lean side straight from the factory. My 06 Ultra ran hot and did not have any power from day one. I had Stage 1 and Rinehart Slip Ons put on and it got worse. Had the SERT installed and dynoed and now it runs great with no heat problems. JMTC

Yoman