Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
nocages4me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Question

Hey guys, I am looking for some input. Here is my set up...

2007 Road Glide
SE 103 Stage II
SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE 255 Cams
Rinehart True Duals
SE Air Cleaner Kit

The dealer ported and polished the heads while it was apart

So my quesiton is this... The bike is running hot so I am assuming it is running a bit lean. I also think this because my MPG is really high compared to other riders. The only other issue and it isn't a major one is that on decelaration I get some small backfires. Other than that the bike runs like a freight train and has no issues.

So I downloaded the software to my pc and read thru some of the manual. It seems to be out of my league. Is there a way to copy of the map that is currently on the bike so that if I mess something up I can just load the old map back on? Any suggestions on what I should do? The map that is on the bike was from the original instal and at that time I had the SE pipes. I have since switched to the true duals and that is when I noticed the backfiring and the heat more. I hope to just tweak it a bit to work out the heat issue but hopefully not lose any of the power that I have. Thanks for any help...

Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain

Not unless you have a copy of the map from when it was Dyno'd before. There is no way for the SERT to read the current map.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM
nocages4me
Tourer

So basically I would have to start from scratch? You can't just mess with it a bit and only change those settings?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nocages4me
So basically I would have to start from scratch? You can't just mess with it a bit and only change those settings?
That's correct. The SERT will overwrite the existing settings with what you send it.

Did you have it dyno'd before? If so maybe the shop still has the map on their computer and will give it to you.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 AM
nocages4me
Tourer

Yeah no such luck with the shop having the map. If I could find a map that is close then I could play with it right? At this point I guess I need to just save some $ and get it re-tuned by a pro since I don't know much about how to tune it. My luck I would screw something up pretty bad.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you got your SERT you have the programs, right? You should have them, you paid for them.
Which means you can find a suitable SE program which matches your setup and download it into your ECM.
There are various ways to adjust the program, it is all adjustable, to cool things down pretty.

Just read all you can and study some on this and you will be OK.

In amoungst all the stuff that comes with the SERT is a good set of instruction manuals. Put this on the computer and if you have a printer, print this out, punch holes in the copy and study.
full of tips also.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-21-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
user 9375875
Banned

For $100 you can upgrade your SERT to the TTS Mastertune and do your own tuning using VTune. It will also let you save and restore the existing calibration, altho you can't edit it. This may be your lowest cost option. --Gary

Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah you can. I have one and am very pleased.

I just though Noca already had a SERT. And all his stuff is SE so there would be a program to start with at least.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 PM
nocages4me
Tourer

I have a SERT, everything is SE except the Rinehart True Duals.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM
user 9375875
Banned

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
Yeah you can. I have one and am very pleased.

I just though Noca already had a SERT. And all his stuff is SE so there would be a program to start with at least.
My thinking was that since he does not have the original map, rather than pay for a full dyno session he can use the TTS and do it himself. Plus, the TTS cals are set up better than the original SERT cals. A better place to start over from!

--Gary

Quick Reply: SERT Question