Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Road King Police tach

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:07 AM
jcar
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Police tach

I have a Road King Police tachometer, looks to be brand new and I want to mount it on my 2005 FLHRI. Does any one know if there is an adapter that I can buy? I could wire it myself if I had a clue to which wires went where. The tach has six wires; orange, brown, orange-white, black, light green-brown and a dark green-pink. I'm guessing that maybe the dark green-pink is the right one, but only a guess. Do I have to go into the console on my Road King to find the tach wire (read it was the pink one)? Thought I might try and find someone that knows. Thanks

Old 05-23-2006, 03:51 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road King Police tach

I used the moco bracket shown on pg. 642 of this years accessories catalogue (part#67231-04). Don't know the size of your tach but the bracket accepts the standard HD mini-tach. To install you will need to remove nacelle and drill 2 holes in the cover over the handlebar mount. Haven't got a clue as to wiring the thing. Stay tuned, you'll get your answer here for sure.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 PM
jcar
Stage IV

Thanks. I have the mounting bracket covered. The mini tach is 2-5/8", I wanted a larger tach and went with the police tach. It is about 3-3/8". Just wanted to be different.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:00 AM
codeglia1
Stage III

I, too, have a 2005 Road King that I wanted to install a tach on... read my posting below for more updated information.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:23 AM
codeglia1
Stage III

FYI, to all those that wish to successfully install one of these Road King Police Tachs on a standard Road King... I've been working with my local Harley dealer to come up with some guidelines to make it work. Seems that the tachs for 2005 and forward all have a total of 7 wires needing connection, and they will NOT work on the non-police Road King, regardless of the model year.

If you have a standard Road King, and want to put a police tach on it, you MUST obtain a police tach that is off of a 2004 model or earlier. These tachs only have 3 wires to hook-up... Black (for ground), ORANGE (to +12vdc switched), and PINK (to the tach output lead)... just like a standard aftermarket tach.

To intercept the Pink (Tach Output) lead on the fuel-injected Road King, you can tap into it back at the ECM (Electronic Control Module), where the cabling comes out of the ECM. It is off of Pin 3, and clearly a Pink wire. Simply tap into it (using one of those crimp-on 3M splicing taps) and then run it all the way up into your headlight nacelle. My particular bike already had a couple of capped wires in the nacelle that were unused; one was a ground, and the other was +12vdc that only became "hot" when the ignition switch was in the "run" or "accessory" positions... perfect for what I needed! Then, I simply connected the wire that I had run from the ECM (Tach Output), and there ya have it!

Now, I'm not sure if the same method will apply to recent-year carbureted versions, as I only know that my fuel-injected model has the ECM (computer) and provides a pink tach lead. I would therefore suggest you consult your shop manual's wiring diagrams, to see if a pink tach output lead is also provided somewhere in the wiring harness.

This is truly one of those situations where "keeping it simple" paid off for me, at least as far as the EFI version of the bike goes. Hope this information proves helpful to someone, and good luck!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:22 PM
HMSroad05
5th Gear

you just broke my little heart. I've been saving 4 years to install my Police Tach. and Your telling me this Tach will not work on my 05 Peace Officer edition. Dealer never mentioned one word about it not working on my bike. 05 FLHRSHIRE (Peace Officer SPECIAL Edition). Too little to late; Thanks for the info. Will double check this out.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM
1workinman
Novice
Default tach for a 07 road king

I just went down that road for my 07 road king. I never could get the seven wire unit to work on my 07 road king. The tach for a 02 is the same size and I really like the size. I can read the numbers . Any way as the early post get one for a early tach I got a 02 it in the 07 nacelle . I forgot to mention get the harness , 3 wires and its no longer offered by Harley. Got one from a company that sells Harley parts that probably buys all of there parts and resells them. Glad they did . My advice buy one on ebay and get the harness . The two wires can be connected in the head light nacelle . ground black and orange switched positive . Got one more to run tomorrow . What a learning experience . Jim