Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2007 Street Glide will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
NickMDN
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Street Glide will not start!

Hi, 2007 Street Glide would not fire up in the driveway this morning.

It had the same problem last Sat (July 4th), when I was out riding and stopped for lunch. I waited a few minutes, tried it a few times and it started.

This morning, however.... nuthin'.

The lights and gauges are all ok. Fuel pump works ok. I get a little click when I depress the starter button, but that is it.

I have not yet had time to tighten anything on the battery, but does this sound like a battery issue?

I have not plugged in my battery tender since March, and the only unusual thing I've added is the power cord for my Garmin GPS, which I keep plugged into the cigarette lighter - but without the GPS. Can this attachment draw power and affect the battery?

Thanks for any help.

Nick

Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would imagine it could be a loose connection to the battery. The reason why your gauges would work is that they need a much smaller draw of power than the starter. I would start with the battery and see if the connections are loose or dirty, if so tighten them and then put it on the battery tender. It would also be a good idea to check the battery voltage before and after to be sure that your battery is holding a charge.

I doubt that the gps is pulling enough out of the battery when not in use to cause this issue. A battery is always in a slow state of drain and without the accessory connected and in use there would be no draw greater than any other item on your that is turned off -cigarette lighter for instance.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 PM
NickMDN
Intermediate

Well... it works, but I don't know what I did!!

Thanks, TickTock, for your reply.

I checked all the fuses (none blown), then checked the battery connections (tightened them a little bit), and could find nothing else wrong.

It still would not start. So, I put the seat back on, planning to call a tow company to take it to the HD dealership in the morning. After putting on the seat, I sat down and decided to try it one more time.

Yep.... cranked right up. I shut it off and cranked it up another 4 or 5 times. Came back a half hour later, and it started again.

So...I suck as a mechanic but I am an amazing magician.

Nick

Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

There's a service bulletin about starting problems on '07's. It involves increasing the torque on the starter bolts, etc., because of a poor ground with the original setup. I didn't have a problem when I applied this fix and have had no trouble since. All I did was re-torque the bolts to the new specs. I'll try to attach the two pages here and hopefully they'll be readable.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Street Glide will not start!-harley-starter-issue-p1.jpg   2007 Street Glide will not start!-harley-starter-issue-p2.jpg  

Last edited by iclick; 07-09-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:20 PM
NickMDN
Intermediate

Iclick - thanks for your reply. Apparently that WAS the problem with my '07 Street Glide. It failed to start after I stopped for gas one morning, and I had it towed to a HD dealer. They tightened the starter bolts for no cost.

However...and big surprise... they found a bad tire and another $1000 worth of stuff I got fixed....<g>

Nick

Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 AM
FREEFALL
Road Master

Originally Posted by iclick
There's a service bulletin about starting problems on '07's. It involves increasing the torque on the starter bolts, etc., because of a poor ground with the original setup. I didn't have a problem when I applied this fix and have had no trouble since. All I did was re-torque the bolts to the new specs. I'll try to attach the two pages here and hopefully they'll be readable.
Great scoop.

I have been having starting issues lately.
I take a look at this tomorrow and see what I can do.
May just print this out and take it to my dealer.

Would this fall under a warranty issue or will my dealer hook me up because of this Service bulletin? I'm about 2 months past my warranty..........

S/F
Freefall

Old 08-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran another ground wire off the battery to one of the starter covers on the right side. May be OK for a Engineer, where they put it at the frame, but seems a long way for such a important ground.
Put the medicin where the sore is. What I say.