Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Do I have a Power Commander?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
bimmersixx
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a Power Commander?!

Hey guys/gals,

I have a rather newbie question, and I thought this would be the place to ask before I went back to the stealership. I'm rather new to the HD scene, but I'm pretty well versed in EFI and tuning and such as I used to be heavily into LS1 Camaros.

Anyway, a salesman showed me an '07 Super Glide Custom and told me "this one has a Power Commander on it." It also has a Big Sucker air cleaner and Samson Big Guns 3 pipes.

Long story short, I buy the bike, and get it home. About a week later I decide to see what the Power Commander is all about, so I download the installation .pdf to see where it would be. I'm an IT Administrator, so computers AND Harleys sound like just my ticket!

The instructions say that it is supposed to be under the ECM, but when I took the cover off per the instructions, only the ECM was there, as far as I can tell.

Am I missing something? Investigation has led me to believe that this particular salesman has an honesty problem, and *this* information comes to me from another HD salesman!

Am I looking in the wrong place, or have I been lied to?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you got 2 options. Follow the ECM harnesses and see if PCIII is connected OR Follow the front (easier than looking at thr rear) O2 sensor to the connectors. If connector is terminated with the PCIII eliminator, you got a PCIII.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM
TickTock
Club Member

somewhere the harness that plugs into the ECM will either lead to a box that says power commander. if you dont find that box, you probably dont have it.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
bimmersixx
Stage IV

Ok, so it doesn't necessarily *have* to be installed directly under the ECM as shown in the install instructions?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
jmg343
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no but it has to be plugged into the stock ECM...its a piggy back module. if you look under your seat you will have two ECM connectors if the PCIII is installed. take your seat off and take a pic of what you see, post it here and we should be able to tell if you have one or not.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by jmg343
no but it has to be plugged into the stock ECM...its a piggy back module. if you look under your seat you will have two ECM connectors if the PCIII is installed. take your seat off and take a pic of what you see, post it here and we should be able to tell if you have one or not.
I agree with this suggestion.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
bimmersixx
Stage IV

It's not there. There is nothing under the seat or in the ECM box/area that is not facory oem. I spoke to the owner of the dealership yesterday about this, and I have an appointment to bring my bike up there next week. We'll see how this gets resolved.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

The only way to see if you have the PCIII is by pulling off the ecm cover. Then take off the two torx screws, which is located under the seat. Then take off the allen bolt which is located in the middle just under the ecm connector. Pull out the whole box alittle, then look behind the whole assembly and under the ecm. The PCIII slides into a little slot under the ecm, but the only way to see or get to it is from the rear. Like the earlier poster also said you can look at your 02 sensors. If they are not connected to anything or are not there, then the 02 sensor eliminators have been installed and that would indicate you do have a PCIII.
J.B.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by jlb0038
The only way to see if you have the PCIII is by pulling off the ecm cover. Then take off the two torx screws, which is located under the seat. Then take off the allen bolt which is located in the middle just under the ecm connector. Pull out the whole box alittle, then look behind the whole assembly and under the ecm. The PCIII slides into a little slot under the ecm, but the only way to see or get to it is from the rear. Like the earlier poster also said you can look at your 02 sensors. If they are not connected to anything or are not there, then the 02 sensor eliminators have been installed and that would indicate you do have a PCIII.
J.B.

Just because the 02 sensors have eliminator plugs on them do not indicate that there is or isnt a Power Commander. The ECM will work with the eliminator plugs without a power commander - the ECM will just think everything is perfect and not try to make any adjustments.

By the same token you can have a PC and no eliminators and the bike will run as well. The ECM would make the closed loop adjustments and the PC would just add or subtract fuel based on what was programmed into it.

The only way to know if there is PC installed is to do what you said in the first part of your post - trace it down...